Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: gen question  (Read 3316 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
gen question
« on: April 04, 2015, 05:25:10 AM »
so i bought the C&B SAA by pietta and just scored a .45colt cylinder on ebay for about $80 for it. i had future plans of converting it to fire .45colt as well as .44C&B but i have some questions on the whole generation thing. from what i gather, the C&B i have is pretty much first generation colt SAA, the guy i got the cylinder from says the cylinder will fit both the first and second gen colts so it should fit mine, right? i already have a plan for the firing pin issue and its a brilliant one but i'm not going to tell anyone until after its done!
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: gen question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:44:07 AM »
My understanding is that 2nd generation Colt cylinders fit the Uberti SAA C&B revolvers.  I don't know about Pietta.  They may be the same.  If 1st gen and 2nd gen cylinders are the same then it should work.  I think Strawhat or Fingers will know whether 1st and 2nd gen are the same size.   I haven't decided yet if I'll convert my Uberti or not.   I shot it the other day and was extremely pleased with it.  30 grains Goex under a 457 round ball and it hits POA from 20 yards.   Hate to screw with that.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
Hi, I was under the impression that none of the 1873 cap and ball revolvers could be converted to fire .45 Colt?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »
You're on your own Bruce.  Can't provide any size or specs info on the C&B SAAs.  I consider it a waste of time and money to try to convert one to a cartridge gun.  At a minimum you would have to change hammers & drill out the recoil shield to make it fire cartridges.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »
i found lots of info on doing it, most from a guy i met down at taylors who already has one he did and luckily for me, had it there for me too look at, although his is a uberti, they are identical, the cylinders even swap and time perfect between my pietta and the uberti., the nice thing is since the firing pin on the C&B is offset to the right, swapping the firing pin and just notching the inside left of the frame notch for the C&B pin gets the .45colt pin where it needs to be, then just swap cylinders. all the frames are identical, when they forge the frames they don't forge this for c&b and that for .45/.44-40 etc they just cast a bunch of frames and mill them into what they will become later on so frame strength is a moot point. so its going to be a 2in1 gun like my converted walker. the guy i met did his because he shoots both competition black powder and sass, apparently sass doesn't allow the 73 c&b... not historically correct they say.. (this from a bunch of guys that dress like rodeo clowns in perfectly crisp and clean shirts)

i have all the parts coming, the measurements on this cylinder i got are dead on with the C&B cylinder, i'm just worried that ratchet is different,

waste of money? me waste money? nope,

$300 for the gun, 80 for the cylinder, 10 for the bushing, 20 for the firing pin...

cost of my project= $410

cost to buy both a .45colt and a c&b 73

cost of a pietta .45 saa = $449
cost of a pietta 73 c&b = $395

total= $850

not really wasting money  (7&
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!