Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Sooo. I have this "Colt"...  (Read 11555 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Sooo. I have this "Colt"...
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »
I have this Mexican/Spanish copy of the 1873 Colt 1st Gen. revolver. I got it as a parts gun and have "looked" at it a few times over the years. I really would like to finish this up and make a decent shooter out of it. The gun came with an aluminum alloy backstrap and trigger guard. It seems to fit "OK", with a bit of hole filing. Does anyone know what this grip frame came from? And does anyone know how close the replica '73 parts (Pietta, Uberti, etc.) are to the original? I use that term loosely as it is obviously not a real Colt. Just as the Belgians made copies of Colts and S&Ws, etc, Mexico did too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:03:00 PM by mazo kid »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Sooo. I have this "Colt"...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
This is the gun in question.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
pop the cylinder out and cock the hammer back so i can see the firing pin and ratchet.

the grip frame looks to be from an older excam or heritage rough rider
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:58:30 PM »
Here ya go:

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
so I have a third gen Colt that wears the Pietta 1860 grip frame. I had to trim just slightly and enlarge the bolt holes.

I also have the second gen Colt that wears a Uberti 1860 grip frame ... just about the same thing as far as fitting and the holes are concerned.

cant miss if you watch fleabay and pick up a grip frame/wood handles together and give em a try. the brass trigger guard will make it look Italian but I for one kinda like the tarnished brass look and the backstrap on both are blued steel which works out very well for this kid.

if you have a 1860 layin round then strip off the grip frame and try it for size and hole placement to see if it will work.

the 1861 or 1851 grip frames will do the same but I wanted the 60 frames as me mitts are on the huge side.
BIGTED

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »
Thanks Ted. I must have changed the trigger guard to a brass one at one point, can't remember if I took it off a gun or was an extra part. Must have been trying to see what would fit together. Suffering from CRS here! I do know when I got the gun, the grip frame was all aluminum. Now I'll have to go back and check things out. I have read about folks using the C&B grip frames on their '73s, just didn't know what kind of work was involved. I would not like to spend money on something I couldn't get to work.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »
Mazo ... I am pretty certain you have both 51's and 60's layin round. just take off the grip frame and try it on your "73" to see how close it will be. then if it all looks rite ... either modify your frame for the 73 or order a grip frame complete from a distributor that sells the type you tried on the 73. then you are pretty certain that the frame/grip you get will work from that manufacturer. the rest is easy peasy ... just a couple min/hrs labor and going slowly and carefully ... you will end up with a unit that has your sweat equity in it. also it will be more dear to you for the effort.
BIGTED

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll give it a whirl! I'm pretty good with a hacksaw and file! (I can see Richard wincing in pain! *6')

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
mazo, you know, if you wanted to part with it...  ;D
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
Yeah, yeah, you will be placed on the list. But no, I don't have any desire to part with it. This is the kind of challenge I like!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
You can see from the first picture the way I received the gun.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »
ohhh but she would look sooo pretty with one of my refinishing jobs..

CCH the frame, nickle the barrel, grip frame and cylinder, gold the trigger and hammer... some nice black mother of pearl grips... fire blue all the screws...

mmmm..

btw remember the old pitted and rusty .38 top break F&W i got a while back? i had it cerakoted black cylinder and silver frame and barrel, get her back tomorrow, look for pics!!!
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
I pulled the grip frame off my '51 snubbie and it seemed to be a close fit on the Mexican.  Went on ebay and got new take-off back strap and trigger guard for Pietta '51. They are both brass but if I don't like the muted brass look (after natural aging), I will try some Brass Black. At least I will see what I can use. I also have a new Uberti Cattleman, but I just didn't want to go to the bother of taking that down for trial fitting. Plus, I got these parts for less than HALF of what VTI wants for unfinished parts.....these are new gun take-off parts. The Uberti parts are four times as expensive!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:31:21 PM by mazo kid »

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »
cool bean. glad you settled on a grip frame and found one. will look for pic's when it gets done.
BIGTED