Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colt Army repro-value?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Colt Army repro-value?
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »
I just bought me a beautiful li'l Pietta Army "civilian" model. This thing is a three-screw frame with NO CUTOUTS FOR STOCK, and no groove in the cap cutout. It's built on a non-rebated Army frame with the smaller Navy grip.
The guy I bought it from seemed to know his BP guns; he claims Pietta only made about 1000 of these as a "pre-production model" and that they are quite rare. Fingers McGee pointed me towards a link from Cabela's that shows a "close-but-no-cigar" model (built on the 60 Army frame) but just wondering if any of you gun-wranglers have ever seen anything like this one and have a basic idea of it's value? See pics following (sorry for poor lighting)
BTW-this gun is unfired and "unmolested"
Here is a copy of the text from the posted ad:

“Unfired, Pietta made Colt 1860 Army .44 caliber, percussion revolver-1st production run example. This rare version features a brass Navy style grip; 3 screw frame-not cut for shoulder stock; round, rebated cylinder and recoil shield capping cutout not channeled. There were fewer than 100 of this variation believed to have been made before the larger, longer grip and cut frame became standard. NOT AVAILABLE FROM RETAIL OR ON-LINE SOURCES. References to this model can be found in UNITED STATES MILITARY SMALL ARMS 1816-1865 (1970); SAMUEL COLT PRESENTS (1961) and COLT SINGLE ACTION-From Patersons to Peacemakers (2006)”

Any ideas on the value based on seller's description? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:41:23 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Colt Army repro-value?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
Sorry, can't help on value, but it is a great lookin' gun!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
Value......well, let's say I sold it for a little more than I paid for it. Which is a good thing! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
That is always a good thing; I strive to make a couple of $$ on guns I sell. Usually end up selling for less than I could have gotten, even if I came out a bit ahead.