Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Quigley Down Under  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Quigley Down Under
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
Well, being as how I'm in the middle of working a deal with Mazo on a Pedersoli Sharps, when I saw this one listed under "free movies" on Encore this month, I just had to....
It's been a long while since I've seen it. And while Laura San Giacomo gets top billing on the credits and Tom Selleck is the leading man, we all know the real star of this movie is really...the Sharps. A gorgeous version in the rare .45/110 caliber with a globe front, rear vernier tang, and silver forearm plate, this thing looks as good as it shoots. I know it's "Hollywierd", but I love when this 'buffler-gun' rolls the bad guys at (impossible) distances that appear to be well over half a mile, in some instances....like someone yanked 'em outta the saddle with a lariat! You just can't watch the antics and not enjoy it; sorry! And if you can, you don't belong here....
But even more interesting was this time around spotting the other hardware used. When Crazy Cora (San Giacomo) is being attacked by dingos, she holds her own with what appears to be a Colt dragoon, also prominent were a Colt Navy brasser which the now-paralyzed bad guy puts to good use easing his own misery, and the evil arch-villain Alan Rickman sports his personal fave, a steel backstrap pair of Colt Army revolvers, with which he considers himself an expert....all in percussion, for some odd reason (Selleck is using cartridges in his Sharps; stands to reason these guys could be shooting '73 Colt Armies). Anyway, good movie except for the smarmy crap, with Selleck playing one pretty badass olde-tyme sniper.
I may have missed a few firearms along the way, because there were a bunch. If anyone gets a chance to watch it, see if you can spot some....
Favorite line:Selleck to Rickman: "You ain't no Bill Hickok"
He wasn't, neither.....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Quigley Down Under
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
That's a great movie to watch.  L@.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
I don't believe I have watched the entire movie start to finish.  I know I have seen a lot of it but only in bits and pieces.  I'll have to sit down one day and try to watch the whole movie in it's entirety.   I love the Sharps rifle and intend to have one of my own in the future.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:08:40 AM »
 :)  The cartridge sharps is explained when Quigley meets Marsden and shows him the Sharps. Marsden says"Ahhh an experimental rifle with experimental ammunition". Plus its the Outback of Australia. Probably took a while for cartridge arms to filter down to em. And that Sharps was shooting a 540 grain bullet over 110 grains of powder so it would have been devastating on a body.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »
:)  The cartridge sharps is explained when Quigley meets Marsden and shows him the Sharps. Marsden says"Ahhh an experimental rifle with experimental ammunition". Plus its the Outback of Australia. Probably took a while for cartridge arms to filter down to em. And that Sharps was shooting a 540 grain bullet over 110 grains of powder so it would have been devastating on a body.

Yeah, but I'll bet it had one HELL of a 'rainbow trajectory'!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »
...And that Sharps was shooting a 540 grain bullet over 110 grains of powder so it would have been devastating on a body...

Probably no moreso than a 500 grain bullet over 70 grains of powder.  The same load that had been used since 1873 with great effect.  The 45-2.1 had a little more trajectory but depending on the scriptwriter, it could have easily made those same shots.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com