Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Army Fluted Cylinder Nicked Notches  (Read 2862 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
1860 Army Fluted Cylinder Nicked Notches
« on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »
I bought a Uberti 1860 Army with a fluted cylinder a couple years ago and never shot it.  No reason, really, just one of those things.  Anyway, yesterday I was looking at it and pointing it, cocking it, cycling the cylinder when I noticed that at the top of the oval part of the notches there is a little bit of metal  nicked out.  What would have caused this?  Should I have this fixed before I start shooting it or just say to hell with it and put pedal to the metal and blast away? 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Army Fluted Cylinder Nicked Notches
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »
Sounds like a timing issue, but would have to see pictures to tell for certain. Can you post some?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Army Fluted Cylinder Nicked Notches
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
Hi shooter, it sounds like the bolt may not properly fit your cylinder bolt slots. The bolt may be too wide compared to the slots.

Remove the bolt and measure the width where it enters the cylinder slot. Then measure the cylinder slots width. The cylinder slots should be a little wider than the bolt width. If not, stone the engagement portion of the bolt to fit. If you don't have a measuring tool, a quick test is to see if the bolt when removed from the revolver will fit in each of the cylinder slots.

If the bolt is wider than the cylinder slot it will peen the slots closed even more to where the chamber to bore may be misaligned. It should be fixed before that happens

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!