Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 353691 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #915 on: April 05, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
Inventoried the freezer this afternoon. I have 20 pounds of boneless pork shoulder, a half a boneless pork loin, a vacuum pack of St. Louis ribs (3 racks), 2 whole beef briskets, a ten pound pork belly (and I just started curing an additional ten pounds of pork belly for green chile bacon this morning), and about 30 steaks of various types, mostly t-bones, ribeyes, and tenderloin. I also have a bunch of boneless chicken breasts and hamburger.

And I'm at home with just my wife and her mother. The neighbors can't come over, due to the ongoing "distancing", and the kids are stuck in CA.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 05, 2020, 09:52:10 PM »
More fun with the "El Corona"...... progress! It's almost time to start getting a little excited....

Dash and new wiring harness

The sweet climate control box we built so I could keep the stock lever controls in the dash

Fenders hung, lots to get plumbed in

Starting to look like a real motor

First time the fenders have been on in 15 years

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 05, 2020, 10:51:50 PM »
Nice work and it seems to be progressing well.  I don’t know how to build a car and wouldn't know where to begin.  It looks complicated.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 06, 2020, 08:14:46 AM »
Nice work and it seems to be progressing well.  I don’t know how to build a car and wouldn't know where to begin.  It looks complicated.

+1 on the nice work. It would be intimidating if you've never built one before. When I was about 10 and working with my dad we built a truck for a customer. We drug three Chevy trucks out of the junkyard. Picked the one with the best cab and stripped it down to the bare frame and built it from the ground up. That was around 1967. IIRC he got $300.00 for building it. That was my first excursion into building. I built several since then but I would be lost on todays electrical systems.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 14, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »
The only "building" I ever did was with the help of a couple of friends who had built a '32 roadster for drag racing. They helped put a rebuilt 283 Chevvy in my '35 Ford 5 window coupe. I went out to the farm one night and one of them had already reversed the 15" Lincoln wheels for the rear. Fun times!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 14, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »
The only "building" I ever did was with the help of a couple of friends who had built a '32 roadster for drag racing. They helped put a rebuilt 283 Chevvy in my '35 Ford 5 window coupe. I went out to the farm one night and one of them had already reversed the 15" Lincoln wheels for the rear. Fun times!

Fun times indeed! We grew up in a great time.
-Mick

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 14, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »

Yeah, we did things, using our own hands and brains and what ever material that was around. I still live that way, but pitty the new generation that seems all at a loss.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 14, 2020, 04:12:49 PM »
Worked on the garden railroad today. Have the layout mostly weeded. In the middle of leveling existing road bed. Then I have to put in road bed for the new Fog Bottom bypass. I'll post video. We have a lot of upgrades to the train layout area this year. The hill inside the main loop is getting retaining wall and terrace. Most of the outside of the track area is getting pavers or flagstone.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 14, 2020, 06:01:58 PM »

Cheap gas, too.  We were the most mobile generation in the history of the world.  We got around.  High times.

I grew up in the LA area and it was snow ski on Saturday and surf on Sunday.  A thirty minute drive would put you where you could legally shoot yer guns any time you wanted.  I wouldn't  go anywhere near that third-world shit hole now but it sure was fun while it lasted.

I had a pretty cool Lionell set up as a little kid but my electric train days are long behind me.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 15, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »

Cheap gas, too.  We were the most mobile generation in the history of the world.  We got around.  High times.

I grew up in the LA area and it was snow ski on Saturday and surf on Sunday.  A thirty minute drive would put you where you could legally shoot yer guns any time you wanted.  I wouldn't  go anywhere near that third-world shit hole now but it sure was fun while it lasted.

I was born and raised just north of the San Francisco Bay Area. The suburbs there were a great place to grow up in the 50's and 60's. And in the 70's it was a good place to start a work career with housing still being affordable for people with blue collar wages. The geography and climate of California is still beautiful but pretty much everything else  sucks.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 15, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »
We have been mostly doing indoor things for the last few days. It has been very windy and temps only in low-mid 30s, rainy and snow squalls too. Today was still windy and cool, but at least the sun was shining. Maybe tomorrow will see us outdoors again.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 15, 2020, 05:13:08 PM »
Easy weather here in NW CA.  Up in the Coast Range a high of 78 F today and tonight we’re bracing for a low of 50. Down on the water where I’m headed for the night we’re looking at 66/44 … and that’s all I’m going to say about that.   ::)
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 15, 2020, 06:32:51 PM »
Snow on the cars this morning, and salt on the roads. Still working every day so not much has changed except the traffic on the roads.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 15, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
I actually got out of the house today, to get food for our reptiles. It was 86 here today and I actually wore shorts! Looks like the rain we've had, is gone for now.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 16, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »

I had a pretty cool Lionell set up as a little kid but my electric train days are long behind me.

Yup G Dog....I remember buying $1 worth of gas and driving around half the night. Cruisin' Main Street.
-Mick