Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 346817 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #1920 on: May 25, 2022, 06:38:16 PM »
Cool Beans! I'd have never thought of that. :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 25, 2022, 09:52:36 PM »
I-40 West out of Flagstaff can be a profound experience.  How not?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 26, 2022, 04:01:40 PM »
Working on the room that is going to be turned into a small photo studio today. The man who built this house was a maniac.

You know how old houses have a chair-rail 3'-4' off the floor to protect the plaster from the back of the chairs? This room has what appears to be a chair-rail ten-inches down from the ceiling. But only on two walls. Each 8-foot rail extends from the same corner. Each rail was held in place by a half dozen ten-penny nails. In the corner there is a 12-inch wide shelf that extends in both directions for two feet It is held up by a pair of basic stamped metal shelf brackets on top of the shelf. The shelf is nailed into the chair rail, and the brackets are nailed into the wall, once more by ten-penny nails. So far, I have pulled ten nails out of the shelf unit, and lost about a quart of blood from scrapes, increased the cat's vocabulary of dirty words, and the shelf is still solidly attached to the wall. I did get the two receptacles up by the ceiling replaced. Not sure why he decided to put a receptacle on each wall, eight inches down from the ceiling, each controlled by its own switch, but there you have it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 26, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »
Working on the room that is going to be turned into a small photo studio today. The man who built this house was a maniac.

You know how old houses have a chair-rail 3'-4' off the floor to protect the plaster from the back of the chairs? This room has what appears to be a chair-rail ten-inches down from the ceiling.

I've seen a lot of old houses like that. My moms old house has 14 foot ceilings. An eight foot piece of paneling was put up at the bottom. Another piece was cut for the top and a chair rail covered where they met.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 28, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »
Attended the funeral of Corporal Charles E. Hiltibran.  He was KIA at the Chosin Reservoir; returned home after 72 years.

Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: May 28, 2022, 06:05:40 PM »
today's "what did I do" started a week ago.
Threw Smoky's Lyman into a sorghum soak.
Today I sanded out all the pitting, and casting marks, didn't defade-farbb, 220#, then 0 ought steel, and then a final of 0000 ought steel wool.

Content with the progress, I threw $60 work of stump remover into a metal pan. and turned on the heat. Didn't think to cut it with water, as the one video (I've watched it a couple times, dud is working on a crusty old 1911, Llama or something) said the heat would liquify it.
Started too, and then caked it.

Ended up with a mess, cut it with water to find my parts, and everything immediately blackened.

Cool. Except it looked like shit, other than the internals.

Don't know what I did, hand, trigger, bolt, but half cock is faint, full cock comes at where half cock used too, and it won't fire capped nipples.

Back to the drawing board, maybe I'll swap the internals from my '14 Pietta target model into this '71 Lyman, and see if I get satisfactory results.

Pretty frustrated with myself, tried to clean up, restore, and slightly improve a functioning shooter, and I have a inop wall hanger now.
I'll figger it out.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 29, 2022, 05:30:32 AM »
Attended the funeral of Corporal Charles E. Hiltibran.  He was KIA at the Chosin Reservoir; returned home after 72 years.

Dave, I'm very glad you were able to attend his funeral. What an honor indeed. Thank you for sharing. I took the liberty of looking up CPL Charles E. Hiltibran and found this information below. It's Very sad that it took so long to find him but am so glad he has been accounted for, honored and recognized.

https://www.dpaa.mil/News-Stories/News-Releases/PressReleaseArticleView/Article/2160039/soldier-accounted-for-from-korean-war-hiltibran-c/

https://dpaa-mil.sites.crmforce.mil/dpaaProfile?id=a0Jt000000VJl49EAD
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 05:48:35 AM by Zulch »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 29, 2022, 05:35:19 AM »
today's "what did I do" started a week ago.
Threw Smoky's Lyman into a sorghum soak.
Today I sanded out all the pitting, and casting marks, didn't defade-farbb, 220#, then 0 ought steel, and then a final of 0000 ought steel wool.

Content with the progress, I threw $60 work of stump remover into a metal pan. and turned on the heat. Didn't think to cut it with water, as the one video (I've watched it a couple times, dud is working on a crusty old 1911, Llama or something) said the heat would liquify it.
Started too, and then caked it.

Ended up with a mess, cut it with water to find my parts, and everything immediately blackened.

Cool. Except it looked like poodle tails, other than the internals.

Don't know what I did, hand, trigger, bolt, but half cock is faint, full cock comes at where half cock used too, and it won't fire capped nipples.

Back to the drawing board, maybe I'll swap the internals from my '14 Pietta target model into this '71 Lyman, and see if I get satisfactory results.

Pretty frustrated with myself, tried to clean up, restore, and slightly improve a functioning shooter, and I have a inop wall hanger now.
I'll figger it out.

Clyde, wow! You have been one busy man. Got any pictures of your efforts with the iron? Like to see your work in progress.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 29, 2022, 09:05:14 AM »
EVERY (!!!!) time I try to host pics to one of these threads, the forum eats the thread and the pics.
I'll zing them into a google album and host them later.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 29, 2022, 09:43:41 AM »
The gun project starts past the Coors Light can.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mxjVNt5Ju9DTv2vE7

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: June 04, 2022, 12:13:32 PM »
We have a good sized cinnamon-phase black bear hanging out in the neighborhood. I wonder if he'd fish in our pond for goldfish, if we left the courtyard gates open?

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: June 23, 2022, 04:51:21 PM »
I have three prime-grade ribeye tomahawks in the fridge. So, I decided to get diverticulitis so I have to wait to do anything with them. Making chicken vegetable soup right now.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: June 24, 2022, 04:26:16 AM »

You know how old houses have a chair-rail 3'-4' off the floor to protect the plaster from the back of the chairs? This room has what appears to be a chair-rail ten-inches down from the ceiling.

I've seen a lot of old houses like that. My moms old house has 14 foot ceilings. An eight foot piece of paneling was put up at the bottom. Another piece was cut for the top and a chair rail covered where they met.
Hawg, wasn’t the top piece to hang the dining room chairs or possibly to hang pictures?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: June 24, 2022, 06:20:36 AM »

Hawg, wasn’t the top piece to hang the dining room chairs or possibly to hang pictures?

Not to my knowledge. At least I've never seen them used for that.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 21, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »
WHERE'S MY BIG DRILL BIT! WHO STOLE IT! I JUST HAD IT HERE...

Oh, it's in my pocket.

Never mind...