Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 346866 times)

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #2145 on: March 27, 2023, 03:06:44 PM »
Yeah Dave.....if I had the room, I'd be all over that one! But for now, the time and bank account are all drained on the El Camino.

I was one of those young hoodlums who hung out at the hobby store most days.....It would be fun to do it again.
What year El Camino?

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 27, 2023, 05:00:19 PM »
Yeah Dave.....if I had the room, I'd be all over that one! But for now, the time and bank account are all drained on the El Camino.

I was one of those young hoodlums who hung out at the hobby store most days.....It would be fun to do it again.
Oooooh. An ElllCamino! Year? Pics?

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 27, 2023, 05:38:30 PM »
I may have asked that before Mick?  If so, humor me. (7+" (7+"

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 28, 2023, 07:22:19 AM »

What year El Camino?

It's a 65
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 28, 2023, 07:31:37 AM »

Oooooh. An ElllCamino! Year? Pics?

It's got a long way to go.....but the LS conversion is done. Put it all together to drive it and work out the bugs. Now tearing it all back down to get ready for some body shop time. Body will go on a rotisserie....frame has already been done.

-Mick

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 28, 2023, 07:38:19 AM »
Mick, a beauty!. I like it. Thanks for showing again. Worth a double take.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 28, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »

You haven't mentioned the El Camino in a while Mick. Nice to see it's still underway. Looking great too.

I know what you mean about the money part too. Hobbies are a luxury nowadays, and expensive. Ready to run slot cars run the gamut from $40 up to well over $100. Making your own like I mostly do, isn't cheaper either. It's usually more. But it's worth it to me.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 28, 2023, 09:48:29 AM »
That's outstanding, Mick. Thanks for the photo. I love those early El Caminos. Does that V-8 emblem on the side mean it has the 283 or the 327 Turbo-Fire in it?

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 28, 2023, 10:22:46 AM »
Dave, I can see those slot cars could be really fun. For that reason, I stay well away from them. I have no room for a track anywhere and they would take a whole medium-sized bedroom or half a garage, which I have full of other interests.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 28, 2023, 12:55:27 PM »
With all of the things going on in the world right now (not to mention firearms) it’s difficult to get overly interested in slot cars and Caminos.  You’re right though, I don’t have to read it but I do anyway.  It’s just that I don’t know why.

L@J
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 28, 2023, 04:50:20 PM »
With all of the things going on in the world right now (not to mention firearms) it’s difficult to get overly interested in slot cars and Caminos.  You’re right though, I don’t have to read it but I do anyway.  It’s just that I don’t know why.

L@J

You've got to have something to do to keep your mind off of the world or you'll go stark raving mad.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 28, 2023, 06:07:29 PM »

You haven't mentioned the El Camino in a while Mick. Nice to see it's still underway. Looking great too.

I know what you mean about the money part too. Hobbies are a luxury nowadays, and expensive. Ready to run slot cars run the gamut from $40 up to well over $100. Making your own like I mostly do, isn't cheaper either. It's usually more. But it's worth it to me.

Yeah....I got the running gear done and had to let the bank account start to refill. It'd going into a buddies paint shop in a week or 2......and then the cash drain really starts. That stuff has gotten ridiculous for pricing.....but I gotta pay it cuz I want to get it done. The good part is I'm going to help to keep the labor costs down.....

Yup...everything is expensive. But it's only money.....it's there for you to do those things that make you happy.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 28, 2023, 06:14:23 PM »
That's outstanding, Mick. Thanks for the photo. I love those early El Caminos. Does that V-8 emblem on the side mean it has the 283 or the 327 Turbo-Fire in it?

It was a 283 car.....but that motor has been transplanted into a buddies jeep. It's a 4.8L LS now. It was cheap, and I can easily drop a bigger LS in if I feel the need, the blocks are all pretty much the same.

I'll probably just leave the 283 emblems on it.,,,,just because.
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 28, 2023, 06:42:07 PM »
It'd going into a buddies paint shop in a week or 2......and then the cash drain really starts. That stuff has gotten ridiculous for pricing.

The best paint I've ever used was Imron. You got 3 quarts of paint and a quart of hardener for 300.00 more or less depending on color and then you had to clear coat it. You can't get it anymore tho. It was gorgeous paint tho.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:57:43 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 28, 2023, 07:12:22 PM »
It'd going into a buddies paint shop in a week or 2......and then the cash drain really starts. That stuff has gotten ridiculous for pricing.

The best paint I've ever used was Imron. You got 3 quarts of paint and a quart of hardener for 300.00 more or less depending on color and then you had to clear coat it. You can't get it anymore tho. It was gorgeous paint tho.

Yes, it was great until it started killing people.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"