Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Are the "real" Colts that much better?  (Read 14388 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Are the "real" Colts that much better?
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
This coming from an owner of strictly Italian imports....are the 2nd and 3rd gen Colts that much better than some of the good imports, like Uberti or the newer CAM/CAD Piettas?
They sure command a much higher price, but are you buying more than a certificate of authenticity and matching serial numbers on all the bits?
I've hungered after a second gen or signature open top for some time now, but choking on the price. Since the 2nd Gen's were rumored to be made from pieces supplied by Uberti, are they (quality-wise) really that much better than a decent Uberti model?
Those of you who own them...what's your take on it?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: Are the "real" Colts that much better?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:32:40 AM »
Fingers will be able to supply a better answer about the 2nd and 3rd generations than I could.  My experience is only with the 1st generations and replicas.

I believe only the 2nd generation actually will letter to Colt.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »
   My experiance is with a couple of originals that were in poor shape one 1851 original that looked like it was just made yesterday and reproductions, The one 3rd gen signiture i worked on , an 1849 pocket did not impress me at all.Very poor fit and finish. While an Uberti 1860 i put a hand in for a friend was of exceptional quality. It is also the most accurate one i have ever handled, also put some nips in an 1861 Uberti that would have rivaled an original from the 1860's.
                                Of course as always your mileage may vary.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 07:40:33 AM »
I have some 2nd Gen. Colts.  Nice guns but I'll take a Uberti over a Colt.  Understand, I don't collect, I shoot.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:05:38 AM »
The 2nd gens will letter with Colt. The 3rd or Signature series will not. As far as fit finish, trigger feel, etc. My 2nd gen is much better than any Pietta I have handled. Don't know about the Ubertis as I have never owned one.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »
This coming from an owner of strictly Italian imports....are the 2nd and 3rd gen Colts that much better than some of the good imports, like Uberti or the newer CAM/CAD Piettas?
They sure command a much higher price, but are you buying more than a certificate of authenticity and matching serial numbers on all the bits?
I've hungered after a second gen or signature open top for some time now, but choking on the price. Since the 2nd Gen's were rumored to be made from pieces supplied by Uberti, are they (quality-wise) really that much better than a decent Uberti model?
Those of you who own them...what's your take on it?

Short answer - maybe.  2nd Gens were made from unfinished parts kits made by primarily Uberti with other Italian and US manufacturers supplying various parts.  All assembly, fitting, finishing and inspection was don in the US - C series at Colt, F series in New Jersey.  I've shot lots of 2nd Gens and repros by other manufacturers and you can get excellent, good, fair, questionable and total crap from any and all of them.  Given the choice between a 2nd Gen and a Uberti or Pietta (or ASM or ASP for that matter) I'd take whichever 'felt' the best when cycling the action.  No matter who you buy from on line, your getting a pig in a poke. 

As to Signature Series guns (Not 3rd Generations - there is no such animal) I've only had a couple and not shot any, so I cannot speak to their quality. 

2nd Gens will letter from Colt - Signature Series will not.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
This will not ainswer your question, since I haven't shot either a Uberti or 2nd Gen Colt. From what I have read, Fingers has it pretty well nailed. The 2nd Gens were made from castings supplied by Uberti so I would think they (Uberti/Colt) would be fairly comparable. The castings were assembled in the US by skilled craftsmen under the supervision of Colt inspectors. When the scheduled run was over, there were MANY castings left over that the company had purchased. After threatening to sue Colt over not being able to sell assembled guns from the parts, Colt gave the go-ahead, but would not authorize any supervisors/inspectors, thus (supposedly) those guns (Signature Series) were not up to the same quality as the 2nd Gens and Colt would not letter them. I had two 2nd Gen guns that were still NIB when I sold them to a friend. He said he was definitely going to shoot them! Hmmmm, I wonder if I could get them back....?

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
The 2nd Gens were made from castings supplied by Uberti so I would think they (Uberti/Colt) would be fairly comparable. The castings were assembled in the US by skilled craftsmen under the supervision of Colt inspectors.

That's not quite right. The C-series (pre-1977) 2nd gens were made from rough castings bought from Val Forgett at Navy Arms. He got them from Uberti. Keep in mind, these were rough castings, right out of the mold. These castings were shipped to the Colt factory in Hartford and finished by Colt craftsmen, using some U.S. sourced parts. Colt C-series parts will likely not directly interchange with Uberti parts.

Colt 2nd-gen F-series (post-1977) were made from rough Uberti castings at the Iver Johnson factory under the eye of Colt inspectors, and are closer to the Ubertis.

Colt Signature-series were made from Uberti castings at the ex-Iver Johnson Factory under license from Colt, but will not letter because Colt had nothing to do with the production or sales.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
These castings were shipped to the Colt factory in Hartford and finished by Colt craftsmen, using some U.S. sourced parts. Colt C-series parts will likely not directly interchange with Uberti parts.

I've replace a loading lever, hammer and hand/spring assy on an early C series 1851 Navy with Uberti parts with only minor fitting of the hand.  I still use the revolver in SASS competition.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the added info EM. I thought some of the guns were assembled at the Colt factory. There was also another company (can't remember the name, but they are making the Henry brass frame rifles IIRC) and I THINK they were the ones stuck with all the parts that were eventually made into the Signature guns.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
That was Lou Imperato, Mazo....

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
Well, here's the thing; I have on my 'list' another Colt Navy (.36) and I want it to be a high quality firearm.
A buddy bought a cased High Standard and it was the biggest piece of crap we'd ever seen.
I would be quite happy with a Uberti if they are decent quality, the Piettas; I can't stomach the shape of the grip frame in stock form so if I got one, I'd have to re-work it.
Since I don't have any '61 Navy revolvers I might move in that direction as well.
Just no more junkers or clunkers is all I'm leaning towards.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
 Y E S !

No doubt, unequivecally.  They re  much better!!!  Better looking, engraved, stamped, blued, colored , valued,   tighter in fit and finish, firing and and and .

Colts reissues are much better than any replica to date!

Not slamming replicas, in the sense of, I see it as wonderful that these folks can create/offer these so everyone can play in history etc.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
Y E S !

No doubt, unequivecally.  They re  much better!!!

Yadda ...

My Pie-yettys ul outshoot anything you got, buddy.           8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:49:42 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »
Y E S !

No doubt, unequivecally.  They re  much better!!!

Yadda ...

My Pie-yettys ul outshoot anything you got, buddy.           8)

Sounds like a shootoff brewing!
Who's bringing the popcorn?  😁
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!