Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Smoker mod  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Smoker mod
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
Added a "smoke box" to my smoker. It gives me much more smoke than the included chip pan in my smoker, and will allow me to cold smoke.

I picked up an open box/returned small barrel smoker at a discount and cut a hole in the lower side so I could duct it to the larger smoker.

Inside is an electric hot plate with a pan full of wood chips/chunks.

I can put a metal plate over the hole and still use it with charcoal or wood.

Smoked a boneless ribeye to test it out.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Smoker mod
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »
Hi Miner, I don't know any thing about smoking. Thanks for posting these up.  L@.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
I'm assuming the meat has to be cooked (before or after?) when cold smoking? You have given me a good idea! We have a charcoal smoker, but have about given up on using it. By the time the heat is good, the charcoal needs to be replenished and the heat goes down. Plus the fact that we have cut WAY back on red meat. Still.....fish, turkey, chicken. Have you ever done cheese, you being an ex-Wisconsin boy and all? Would the cold smoker be the way to go with that?

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
Smoked Cheese? Sounds Yummy!  &\?

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 01:24:32 PM »
I'm assuming the meat has to be cooked (before or after?) when cold smoking? You have given me a good idea! We have a charcoal smoker, but have about given up on using it. By the time the heat is good, the charcoal needs to be replenished and the heat goes down. Plus the fact that we have cut WAY back on red meat. Still.....fish, turkey, chicken. Have you ever done cheese, you being an ex-Wisconsin boy and all? Would the cold smoker be the way to go with that?

The food is not cooked ahead of time when cold smoking. That's the point of curing it before smoking. The cure kills off any bacteria present and keeps new bacteria from establishing itself. That way you can smoke the food at temps below 100 degrees without it spoiling.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Real nice build!!!