Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860's on television show  (Read 7848 times)

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
1860's on television show
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
I am a fan of old black and white television Western series/ shows. Tonight I watched "Laramie", season 2, episode 12, 1960, on the Western Channel. Now I know it is television and all, and a lot of the shows should be taken with a pound of salt. #k( Tonight's show I found interesting. Other than the time lines being a bit off, the story was pretty good. 8)

Tonight's installment included two Colt 1860 Army models with extended barrels... almost 18-20" total length. They were said to be "percussion" and fired a round ball. I noticed when the light hit the sides of the barrels just right, the joint or seam where the barrels were extended showed. I think there was also a small rear sight probably around mid barrel. These guns were "dueling pistols". :-*

One scene showed the hero 'loading' his revolver using a powder flask, maybe a wad and of course the round ball. It all looked pretty good. And then I noticed he had loaded everything on the wrong side of the barrel, left side instead of the right side. There was no way he could have rotated the loaded cylinder past the forcing cone on the barrel, to bring the charged chamber under the loading lever. But being the hero he was, he just pressed the ram down into the empty chamber directly below the ram, and continued loading. J*j

Well, the duel takes place and the hero declines to shoot his adversary. Probably a good thing too. *6' 8)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: 1860's on television show
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
The more you know the more you notice.    Sometimes knowing too much can spoil the "Hollywood Mystique".    My wife has told me to shut up a number of times when I point out errors in movies when it concerns guns or history.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:27:32 PM »
And here I been thinking I was the only one who ever got tol to hush up about firearm inaccuracies in films.  Can’t help knowin what ya know and it’s always good to keep company with others of similar irritating habits.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:30:44 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 11:49:13 PM »
Lucky for me I was alone when I was watching the program. I too have been admonished to keep my pie hole shut when it comes to movies or television shows. J*j
Secretly I still count the number of rounds fired. Some things I just can't let go of... ^j)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 06:48:53 AM »
Hey DoubleDeuce1, I do the same thing here. Kimmy likes to watch western movies with me. I'm always pointing something out to her and she screams at me to shut up. I still jump up to the movie whenever someone drops a spent case to the ground.  :-[

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
I remember that episode (& thinking, "Oh, well"). Laramie was probly my favorite TV western. Other favorites were Wagon Train & Tall Man.
Mother's family is from Laramie (cowboys all); dad's side has connection to Billy the Kid & Lincoln County war. Only thing I didn't like about WT was the little 4-bow wagons -- not a prairie schooner in the bunch. Also, no buckskins to speak of. Although, I think I prefer the look & feel of the old westerns to the newer, more period-correct ones. Just grew up with 'em, I guess.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
Encore has been throwing out some of the old serials (complete) so I've had the pleasure of watching the entire "Wanted: Dead Or Alive!" series with Steve McQueen, and "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors as well as "Gunsmoke" (I've never seen a lot of the really early ones with Dennis Weaver as Chester) and Bonanza. Great TV from the past. I love it all!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:31:01 AM »
I like and get "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza" here.  )lI

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »
The more you know the more you notice.    Sometimes knowing too much can spoil the "Hollywood Mystique".    My wife has told me to shut up a number of times when I point out errors in movies when it concerns guns or history.

Hi Mike, I get a similar reaction when I mention that the firearm isn't period correct. She just tells me to not to worry about it and just enjoy the movie.  *6' *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:33:51 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
Some things are universal aren't they.

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
TV & movie westerns have certainly helped to mold our thinking. Look at all these cowboy/civil war guns we own & fantasize about. But, how many of us have really considered the negative aspects -- fascination with the gun, the tendency to resort to the gun as a solution to problems (as connected to moral codes of right & wrong), glorification of the spirit of violence? When viewed in this manner, it's easy to conclude that westerns may have been used as a mind control vehicle. I think we all need to assess our relationship with these issues in order to stay as clean as possible. I know I've done a certain amount of soul cleansing. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 06:14:30 PM »
I'll think about that....OK, I'm done. When is Bonanza on next?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
I'll think about that....OK, I'm done. When is Bonanza on next?
Exactly.