Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What's the point of having this message board?  (Read 17946 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
What's the point of having this message board?
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Hi, What's the point of having this message board? There is so little activity, it becomes a waste of time to even visit here to see if there is anything new.

Johnnie hates Colts, so why even have a message board for them?  L@J L@J L@J

IMO, shut it down. What do you think?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: What's the point of having this message board?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »
Hi Richard,   I can understand that point of view but I really don't think any of the regular posters here really feel that it should shut down.   If a person thinks it's a waste of time to check in here then why would they?   The Remington snobs have more activity due to the fact they need to keep reassuring each other that they are not missing out by not owning any Colt pattern revolvers.   Fact is Colt owners are secure enough they don't need the support of hundreds of other like minded individuals.  In fact I find there are a couple Remington forum posters that keep my participation to a minimum.  (Johnnie is not one of them).   I don't have that problem here.   We may not have a lot of activity here but we don't have any rude "know it all" individuals who buy all their stuff in the "bargain cave" either.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »
What he ^ said.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Muttly

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
I am new here so dont know much about the stats here. But I do find it being a slower pace nice for me. All forums are taking a hit due to social media like facebook etc. I am a administrator on a fishing wite with over 70k members and let me tell you being big is not always fun.
Even that site is slowed way way down due to social media.
I would liek to see a bit more posting here as I do like to read. So I am enjoying reading all the threads posted in the time being. Shutting down naw to much here in reality to do that.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
It's partly my fault as the admin, I have not been pushing it here as this is sort of my slow season for BP and it's been a slow year in general. Shut it down? Not a chance. If it's too slow for you Richard, either post more or hang out at the Remmy joint until we get busy again. L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 03:33:20 AM »
Hi Captain, post more? Posting here is like pissing in the wind. Other than Mike, few others ever reply. I'd have as much interaction with Mike just using email. Sometimes I double post Colt here and the Remmy board just to get a little discussion going somewhere. There is more activity posting about Colts on the Remmy board than here. Even hearing Johnnie trash Colts provides more activity for Colts than here.

IMO if people really want a separate Colt message board, then step up the activity and lets start exchanging information. I don't think that everything about Colts has already been said where this message board is simply an archive.

^j) ^j) ^j) ^j) ^j) ^j) ^j) ^j)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »
I don't come here much because quite frankly I keep forgetting about it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »
Hi scooby, IMO you have been much better than the average forum member in posting replies which have always been appreciated.

If frosts me sometimes when a newbie will ask a question that the group replies to and then you never see that member post again. Many the times I have seen a member's problem solved by another member and then not even a thank you.

I highly value your postings.  L@. L@. L@.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »
Hello Richard!! I show up here from time to time. I like to read the post and talk less. I'll talk Colts with you. I have a few here I like to shoot. If I ask a question someone has always give me some good advice. Like on the thread about filing the V in the hammer of a Colt to bring the POI down. I signed in here cause Remmie forum is running quite tonight. Looks like everybody is hanging out over here.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
Richard, reading back at my reply to you,it sounds rather flippant...it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes (especially in the middle of deer archery season) I just run out of things to say regarding BP in general (not just Colts) and sort of rely on others to pick up the slack. I think we all do this from time to time. Thanks for keeping the wheels turning while some of us are slacking. :)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 07:44:29 PM »
CK you run out of steam to do you? (7+"

Online 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
Yes,  .  .  .  .  .  yes we do!

I'll see if I can do more  posting and help cappy out.

Just for the heck of it, who would like to see some "factory  converted" Dragoons/ Walkers? I mean real " let's go hunting, let's shoot long distance, with some Ruger only loads?!! Real live  modern Open Tops!!!
Why should the RM's , '71/'72 OT's and such be the only "modern" OTs?
 Just askin.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Muttly

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 09:22:27 PM »
I would like to see it.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 04:52:21 AM »
I like this board.  I read all of the threads, and if I have something to say, I write it down.  Sometimes, members may not like what I write, I am okay with that as I do not write anything to hurt feelings.  Merely my opinion.  Work has kept me from the fields this year except for once or twice.  I have probably fired less on those two outings than most of you do it the first 10 minutes at the range.  Just my way.  I like to read about the experiments and am following the one on the 22 conversion.  Interesting, but not my cup of tea.  Same with the meat smoking, I like to eat it but have never prepared it.  I still read about it.

Between work and life, it takes up a bit of my time.

That is probably the most I have written since I joined.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:35 AM »
I like both of the forums. There are members that are on this forum and not on the other forum.