Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Lee bottom pour pot  (Read 14557 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Lee bottom pour pot
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »
I used to have a 10# Lee pot, but happened onto a good used 20#er at a great price. The difference in getting melted lead is not that much more time in the larger pot. Plus, when you are casting heavy projectiles, 400-500 grains, that smaller pot will empty pretty fast. And yeah, mine leaks sometimes too. Just scrape down the sides and bottom with a thin wooden stick, flux a couple of times, keep a screwdriver handy for twisting the plug rod. I also hung a lead weight on the operating handle and that cut waaaay back on th amounts of drips. Using clean lead is also a good thing.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
I ordered the 10# pot and 5 different molds today.   Now I have to obtain some lead.   What do you guys use for flux?

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
I just use wax from old candle stubs. You can also use wood shavings (you should have plenty of those!), or beeswax.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
Also, you can't beat the price of those Lee pots. When I got my 10# pot, I believe it cost $28.00! I also have an RCBS 20# pot but almost always use my LEE. At what....$300.00 or so?, that is a lot of cash to plunk down for a lead melter. I got mine used and RCBS refurbished it. It was tripping the GFCI breaker and I thought something was wrong. I guess that is the manner of the beast, for a while at least. It only cost me shipping one way though and I have a new machine for all intents and purposes.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Hi Mike, as mazo said a candle stub will work and last for years. I use just a couple of beeswax prills that I bought for making 50/50 beeswax and olive oil overball lube. Have a butane fire starter on hand to light the smoke from the wax after it is put on the lead. Stirling the melt as the wax burns will cause all the oxide to rise to the top were it can be easily removed with an old spoon, or lead ladle.

Good luck on your casting, I look forward to seeing your casting report.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
Thanks guys,  I knew someone had said something simple like a candle.   I also have about 10 pounds of raw beeswax I need to render out.   I'm going to order some lead online.  I can't find a source for lead locally.  It seems any business dealing with heavy metals in the Metro area here is regulated and watched closely what is done with it.  Even the kid that grew up next door to me and runs a tire shop can't sneak any out for me.   All must be recycled through certified companies.   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 04:51:15 AM »
Hi Mike, I buy all my lead used for bullets from eBay with free shipping. Look for recycled lead roofs, pipes, and sailboat weights. The lead cast into 1/2-1lbs bars is easiest to use for bullet casting needs. Most eBay sellers of lead offer different weight bundles. IMO start with a small lot to learn if the vendor's lead quality is suitable. If satisfactory, then buy a motherload from them.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 07:39:21 AM »
Thanks Richard,  I've been browsing Ebay looking for deals.   Looked at RotoMetals and other sites too.   Will probably order something today.
Ebay seems to have lots of choices and free shipping.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »
Hi, just finished knocking off a couple hundred 0.490" balls for my muzzle loading rifles and single shot pistols. Leaving the pot almost empty before shutting off the pot did the trick for not having any startup lead leakage. Just enough lead ingots were added to the pot to produce the production desired before lead run out. There are 7000gr in one pound and the calculation easy to just add enough lead to the pot and have it almost empty at the end of the casting session.

I had another win for my safety glasses. At one time in the casting I returned the lead collected from the top of the sprue plate to the pot and had a lead splash were some molten lead stuck right in the middle of the right eye plastic lens of the safety glasses. Safety glasses and heavy leather gloves should always be worn when lead casting.  L@. L@. L@.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »
Just be careful,when ordering lead on eBay. Make sure it is soft lead. Sail boat keel weights and diving weights can be ANYTHING. RotoMetal offers guaranteed lead and alloy. This forum has people offering lead for sale frequently and probably for less money:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »
Mike, I use candle wax as well. Just make sure it is an unscented candle and preferably uncolored (white) as some of the dies and scents have been reported to contaminate the lead.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 08:19:39 PM »
I have some beeswax and beeswax candles so I'm set there.  I ordered some lead today so now I'm just waiting for the USPS to do their job.
Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 04:07:39 AM »
...Just be careful,when ordering lead on eBay. Make sure it is soft lead. Sail boat keel weights and diving weights can be ANYTHING. RotoMetal offers guaranteed lead and alloy. This forum has people offering lead for sale frequently and probably for less money:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin...

I have dealt with folks on that forum and nearly all of them are square shooters.

If you are casting for hunting or revolvers, most any alloy will work.  If you want repeatable target quality loads, buy certified alloy or pure ingredients and mix your own alloy.  Wheel weights, range lead, sailboat keels etc are not a repeatable source of alloy.

Also, avoid zinc, it will contaminate your pot and you will need to buy a new one.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 04:10:21 AM »
Hi Mike, besides fluxing, beeswax is useful for the sprue plate and alignment pins lubing. Follow the Lee instructions on "smoking" new mold faces. Put the mold on the top of the lead pot to warm up before casting. Having the correct mold temperature is critical to high quality lead projectiles and volume. A small strip of wood ~2x8x0.75 is useful to have on hand to help release any stubborn projectiles from the mold.

BTW, I found that the 6-7 temperature setting works very well with the 10lb bottom pour pot. Start at 7 and then reduce to 6 if the casting is too hot were it takes a long time for the mold lead to solidify after pouring.

I look forward to hearing your report on your successful casting.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 06:04:57 AM »
More excellent advice.  Thanks.   I ordered pure soft lead to begin with (99.9).   I have used only soft lead bullets for the BP loads I use so far and it has worked well.  Going to stick with soft lead for now and stay away from wheel weights and range scrap.   There is no good source for that locally anyway.