Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Casting Efforts  (Read 5635 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Casting Efforts
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
I've been stealing small blocks of time here and there and have accomplished a little bit of casting with my new equipment.

L to R; .454 RB,  .380 RB,  .452 200gr,  .457 405gr. 
All with Lee molds and a Lee 10# bottom pour melting pot.  I did 100 each of the round balls and .452 bullets but only 25 of the .457 bullets.
The Lee bottom pour  pot works nearly perfectly so far.  No dripping, heats up fast and only had a partial clog a couple times. 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Casting Efforts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:26:05 PM »
Hi Mike, looking good! Nice looking ball bags also.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
Thanks Richard,   I need to make a few more flat bottom bags like the one on the left.   

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
Oh Yeah!  :-H

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »
Looking good, Mike!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:33:14 AM »
Looks good Mike,

For you and all the members, there are a few things you can do to Lee molds to make them a bit better than the way they come from the factory.  The process is detailed here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?47669-More-quot-Lee-Lementing-quot

Another, more thorough thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?654-Sure-Fire-Lee-Menting-Technique-%28Aimoo-Post-Revisited%29&highlight=lee+menting

I do it as a matter of course to all the Lee molds I get.  I view Lee molds as the casting version of Italian C&B replicas, a kit that needs some work to get the best results.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »
The Lee molds did not give me any problems after I figured out what temp to run the pot at and pre heated the mold enough.   I can see where the recommended work-over from the links you provided would be beneficial.   I'm going to perform the improvement procedures on my new molds as soon as time permits.   Thanks Kevin.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
I will wager that if not already, soon you will be asking yourself why you didn't start this sooner.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
Hope you're right Capt.   So far I'm wondering why I didn't buy a revolver instead of this casting equipment.

Actually it's nice to learn a new skill and do as much for yourself as possible.  In reality I enjoyed watching the pile of bullets build up once I got going with it.    So yeah,  I guess you're right.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:03 AM »
Hi Mike, assuming that you shoot often, you will be surprised on how much money you save by casting your own projectiles. You also can make projectiles not readily available in stores. You have complete control on projectile hardness. Buying hand cast from others and you lose hardness and precision control. Having the tools and the skill developed for casting allows for complete independence from suppliers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »
I agree Richard.   All I need to do now is figure out how to develop a complete independence from sleep.    Then I'll be able to cast my projectiles,  make my own lube,  load all my cartridges, fabricate all the leather goods I need,  build a lighted shooting range so I can shoot in the dark, all the while running the business that pays most of the bills.   
Sleep is a waste of valuable time.   I could be using the six hours I get now for more productive tasks.   
All kidding aside,  I'm happy to learn a new skill and it is already paying off just by keeping me out of stores that sell shooting supplies.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
Hi Mike, IMO casting like shooting reduces stress. The more I work with my firearms, the better I sleep.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »
I agree Richard.   All I need to do now is figure out how to develop a complete independence from sleep.    Then I'll be able to cast my projectiles,  make my own lube,  load all my cartridges, fabricate all the leather goods I need,  build a lighted shooting range so I can shoot in the dark, all the while running the business that pays most of the bills.   
Sleep is a waste of valuable time.   I could be using the six hours I get now for more productive tasks.   
All kidding aside,  I'm happy to learn a new skill and it is already paying off just by keeping me out of stores that sell shooting supplies.
A little Jameson's never hurts for a good night's sleep.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
Mike, it looks like you have this casting thing down pretty good. It is satisfying to be able to be able to make your own stuff.