Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Navy "Yank" 36cal on Sale at Cabelas  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
1851 Navy "Yank" 36cal on Sale at Cabelas
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »
On sale for $179.99 plus free shipping. I bought one,got it today.  Looks real nice. One question: What makes it a "Yank"?  Am I missing something?
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Navy "Yank" 36cal on Sale at Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Steel frame. The brasser is called the "Reb Nord" for some reason...?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
On sale for $179.99 plus free shipping. I bought one, got it today.  Looks real nice. One question: What makes it a "Yank"?  Am I missing something?

I have noticed that different retailers label some pistols differently. Cabela's 1851 Navy "Yank" has a steel frame and a brass round trigger guard (Pietta).

A year ago I bought the same pistol and there was no "Yank" in the description. It is and was an Italian Pietta repro of a 1851 Navy 3rd Model .36 cal (round trigger guard).

If one goes to the Dixie Gun Works 2015 catalog (print only; no online catalog: $5 by USPS) you will find:

Dixie 1851 Navy Yank - Civilian Model (cat# RH0844) with silver-plated backstrap and round trigger guard .36 cal (Pietta).

Dixie 1851 Navy Yank - London Model (cat# RH0850) with brass backstrap and brass squareback trigger guard .36 cal (Pietta).

London and squareback TG do not connote, IMO.

As I bought my Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal from Cabela's online, I also ordered a Pietta 1851 Navy Squareback trigger guard from Taylor's for $25 for my version of a 2nd Model. It fit perfectly.

Eric, good luck with your new purchase. Normally, Pietta arbor-to-barrel fit is good, but the bolt/cylinder fit and timing is off a bit. If you have a few extra bucks I would wholeheartedly suggest you send it to Goon (Mike) for a very slick pistol. I have talked to him via PM, email, and on the phone: he gave me many pointers and I was able to correct the timing concerning the bolt/hand thanks to his free info. If you can contact him by phone, he is a talker (bar none!) and is so willing to give info. That tells me he is so good at his work that he is almost challenging others to at least meet his quality. I'm sure he does a much better job than I if one compares his work with mine or some others. If you peruse various posts, there are many that revel about his work. BTW, this is not an advertisement for Goon.

IMO, the 1851 Navy .36 cal is about the nicest handling C&B revolver. To me, the Walkers and Dragoons are too large, the 1848/1849 Pockets as well as the 1862 Pocket Police and the Pocket Navy pistols are too small. The 1861 Navy and the 1860 Army are more streamlined, but...

My dream is to purchase a Pietta Griswold and Gunnison .36 cal brasser and swap the barrel and cylinder with my Pietta 1851 Navy Squareback .36 cal to create a 1851 Navy 2nd Model Dragoon, which never existed except in my fantasy. That would still give me the option to create a Leech and Rigdon, a Schneider and Glassick, and an 1851 Navy 3rd Model.

Have fun, sir!

Jim

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:55:02 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:17:28 AM »
Cool,thank!   I have the Dixie Catalog (2015) and saw those pistols a few days ago.  Boy do I like that Square Back. I agree with you on the handling of the Navy's,and they look better too. Not much,but I think that the Army's are too  stream lined for a pistol of that era.  Did that make sense?    Anyway, thanks!!
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
That made perfect sense, except it seems you bought the round guard Pietta 1851 Navy steel. If you still want a squareback TG contact Ashley at Taylor's. It may take a few months before they can procure it, as it did with mine. Worth the wait, IMO. The TG I got from Pietta/Taylor's had only one gas bubble that had not been polished out and that was in the upper inside TG area, as to be non-existant except for jerks like me. :-)

Have fun, Eric!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo