Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dimensions  (Read 6617 times)

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
Dimensions
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
I was given some dimensions some time back on another forum but couldn't find the response so I figured his was a great place to ask again, especially with it being the OP and easy to find again.

I'm wanting the dimensions of the Uberti '62 Police for the lands/grooves of the bore and the chambers. I'm about set on this bein my next pistol and I like to have Accurate make a bullet mold, as well as whether or not I'd want the chambers reamed a bit to get closer to groove diameter (had my Pietta opened up to 0.449" from 0.446" to get closer to 0.452").

I've heard something alon the lines of Uberti having retooled a few years ago. If so did dimensions change?

I'd also like to know the twist rate.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
I was given some dimensions some time back on another forum but couldn't find the response so I figured his was a great place to ask again, especially with it being the OP and easy to find again.

I'm wanting the dimensions of the Uberti '62 Police for the lands/grooves of the bore and the chambers. I'm about set on this bein my next pistol and I like to have Accurate make a bullet mold, as well as whether or not I'd want the chambers reamed a bit to get closer to groove diameter (had my Pietta opened up to 0.449" from 0.446" to get closer to 0.452").

I've heard something alon the lines of Uberti having retooled a few years ago. If so did dimensions change?

I'd also like to know the twist rate.
To my knowledge, Pietta was the only one that re-tooled. Had not heard anything about Uberti as such.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
I've seen it stated only once and it could very well have been a brain fart. Just as you said, Pietta is the only one I've dfinaty heard retooled.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Pietta went to CNC machinery back around 99-2000. haven't heard anything about Uberti retooling, just that they went to forged frames so that should make some difference in the overall size.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »
I'm certainly not sure but I thought Pietta retooled much later (2012-13)?

My 2013 Christmas present Remington NMA has the faster twist (1:16) which many with newer guns don't have. Speculation on outside vendors came in to question.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »
I'm certainly not sure but I thought Pietta retooled much later (2012-13)?

Not to my knowledge. I know they did around 99.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
Don't know about Uberti changes over the years but here are the dimensions on my 1862 Police Manufactured in 1971.

Chambers   .376,  .376,  .377,  .377,  .375   measured them all 3X  same results each time.

Groove diameter = .377   Land diameter = .368  Slugged the barrel with a .380 round ball.

6 lands and grooves.

1:20 twist rate.     This barrel is 6 1/2 inches long the grooves turn +/- 1/3 of the barrel length.  Measured by forcing a tight cleaning patch  down the barrel and marking how far the rod turned.

I haven't messed with this revolver much yet.  Shot 3 cylinders through it one time. It was all over the place.  I was using .375 rb with a wad since that was all I had.  It's a wonder the balls didn't fall out after first shot.  I now have .380 rb so that will help a lot. 
Now that I've looked at it closer this revolver is in remarkable condition considering it's age.    I should put up some close up pics of it. 
Thanks for making me take a closer look at it rodwa.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike, and taking the time to check. Seems my questions helped us both in some way.

When are you going back out to shoot it? Hopefully the weather will permit a trip soon!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »
Hoping to take several revolvers and a couple pistols out to my son's house around Christmas.  Now I'm anxious to go shoot it.   I'm thinking the couple cylinders I put through it were the first ones eve fired from it.   The gun is brand new. 

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »
You do know it's a sin to leave a gun unfired for too long, right?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Yes I do.  That's why I took this one out and fired it with undersized rb as soon as I could after I bought it.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »
What??? Then, I'm a BIG sinner here!!!  :o

I bested be getting out there and shoot them!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
Uh oh.... L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
I must confess I've fallen from grace. Since moving I haven't been shooting (almost 18 months now!) as there aren't any convenient outdoor ranges here. Before I went no less than once a month.

Thankfully He is forgiving though, eh?