Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New flintlock rifle coming  (Read 10166 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
New flintlock rifle coming
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »
Hi, last night I ordered a new 50 caliber Pedersoli Hawken flintlock from Cabelas.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_377/rifles-hawken-traditional-hawken-target-rifle-flintlock.html

It was on sale for $100 off last night, but full price today. I lucked out, those that hesitate are lost? I have two Thompson Center (TC) (.45 & .50 caliber) Hawkens, but they are percussion. There is something special about flintlocks. I have a Traditions Trapper 50 caliber and Pedersoli Kentucky flintlocks that I enjoy immensely. The only negative I see about the Pedersoli Hawken is that it doesn't have the hooked breach like on the Trapper and TC Hawkens. The hooked breach helps for a quick barrel removal for cleanup.

Which do you like better, percussion or flintlock?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: New flintlock rifle coming
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind having a flintlock rifle or pistol...later on here.  )lI

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:28:17 AM »
Congratulations on your new rifle. Yes, hooked breeches are great for cleaning the bore, but you just have to take a few precautions when cleaning the non-hooked breech guns. And I do prefer my flintlocks, although I have percussion guns also.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
Pedersoli is pretty nice stuff.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 03:54:59 AM »
Hi, my new Pedersoli Hawken rifle arrived late yesterday. The fit and finish is excellent, typical of Pedersoli. A nice surprise is that the walnut stock is not plain, but has a nice figure in the area of the cheekpiece. The Pedersoli Hawken uses the same lock and trigger guard as the Pedersoli Kentucky rifle. Lock time with the Kentucky rifle is poor so I'm not expecting too much from the Hawken.

On the questions area of the Cabelas Hawken description someone asked what is the flint size that the Hawken rifle used. Someone said a 3/4x7/8" flint. WRONG!! It's the same size as the Kentucky, 1/2x5/8". Too bad I wasted money by preordering the larger 3/4" flints.

There is one area of the Hawken that I dislike, the mounting of the trigger guard. It isn't inlet like the Kentucky but simply screwed to the face of the stock. That may allow more relief for a gloved hand, but it looks like crap. Inletting the Hawken trigger guard my be a future project of mine.

God knows when the weather will allow me to test this new Hawken for accuracy.

All in all, this new Hawken should be a nice addition to my frontstuffer rifles.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 04:38:17 AM »
Nice early Christmas present Richard.   Can't go wrong with a new Pedersoli.   Happy to hear it arrived safe and sound.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »
Hi scooby, your wish is my command:

On close examination, the touch hole on the Hawken is at the top of the flash pan, on the Kentucky it's at the bottom. The Hawken has a larger diameter barrel than the Kentucky. I don't remember where the flash hole location is considered ideal.

I swabbed out the Hawken barrel to clear the proofing debris and to feel the condition of the bore. It feels pretty smooth.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:49 AM »
Hi Richard, Very nice. I like that one!  L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »
Looks a lot like the Lyman Trade Rifle. Very nice, Richard!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
Hi, I forgot to mention that this rifle has fiber optics in the rear sight. While not historic, it sure aids getting sighted on a target. You don't notice the fiber optics until sighting the rifle. IMO it's a nice add on for a hunting rifle. I have a hunch that the high touchhole of the Hawken will allow for a fast lock time compared to the lower touchhole of the Kentucky. I can't wait until I can test this rifle.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »
I can't wait until I can test this rifle.

Neither can we!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
On the flintlocks I built, the vent was drilled at a point that bisected a line drawn across the top of the pan.  This allowed the powder in the pan to flash through the channel permitting a faster ignition time.  I learned this many years ago from a group of gunsmiths, Cecil Brooks, Wes Kindig, Jim Johnston and others.  With a hole in the bottom of the pan, the powder has to burn down to the vent.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:01:38 PM »
Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. Based on what you said, since the touchhole of the Hawken is in a line with the top of the flashpan/bottom-of-frizzen there is hope for a fast locktime with the Hawken. I do remember banking the powder in the flashpan away from the lower touchhole of the Kentucky, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 03:52:39 AM »
I had a Navy Arms 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle that had the vent in the bottom of the pan.  I scribed a line across the top of the pan and marked the center.  I removed the barrel and drove a nail into the vent to plug it.  I drilled a new hole at my mark and installed a vent liner.  I used a vent liner because I wanted the new hole to obliterate the old vent hole and without a liner the hole needed to be huge compared to a vent.  You could do something similar to make that rifle work.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 04:46:36 AM »
Hi StrawHat, thanks for the suggestion. My Hawken and Kentucky barrels have a vent liner. Maybe making a touchhole vent liner with the hole close to the edge (off axis) would help? Install the blank vent liner and then mark the place to put the hole higher relative to the flashpan powder? Another solution may be to grind down the bottom of the flashpan so the hole is level with the top of the flash pan powder?

Regards,
Richard