Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Absolute Newb Question!  (Read 13960 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Absolute Newb Question!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 09:50:55 AM »
Here are my two Ubertis, fully fluted with iron backstraps and triggerguards.

Kevin

I still hate you Kevin.    ;)
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
OK,  that does it.  Now I gotta find me an 1861.   Been listening to Scooby, Strawhat, and Fingers, preach the virtues of the '61 long enough.   After looking at these photos I figure it's time to see for myself.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
Hi Mike, IMO the Pietta 1862 will get you what you want.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »
I just did a quick check of the web and an 1861, new, will be in the mid $300 range.  Your best bet might be Gunbroker or similar.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
Well, I like the balance of the fairly muzzle-heavy 1851 (in my case, Pietta) rather than the 1861 Navy. I like a muzzle-heavy feel to modern cartridge revolvers as well.

So, why is it I am looking forward to receiving my G&G Pietta (now currently at a UPS facility in Portland OR, ordered from Cabela's @ $5 shipping: ground) in a few days in order to swap the G&G barrel and plain cylinder onto my 1851 Navy 2nd Model steel frame .36 squareback to create a (fantasy) 1851 Navy .36 Dragoon (same as a L&R without the round TG)?

Just have to feel for myself, I guess. "Anticipation" by Carly Simon is in the back of my mind.  ;)

I'll probably let you know (and I am sure others here have done it before me) when it happens.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
I passed  one up at a gun show right before Christmas.  An older Uberti from Replica Arms (Ohio).   Thought really hard about it but left empty handed.   $200 might have been a better deal than I thought.   

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Yeah that was a good deal on a Uberti. Sourdough you will love the feel of that G&G, it won't have the Pietta tail.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
OK,  that does it.  Now I gotta find me an 1861.   Been listening to Scooby, Strawhat, and Fingers, preach the virtues of the '61 long enough.   After looking at these photos I figure it's time to see for myself.

You will not be disappointed.

Hi Mike, IMO the Pietta 1862 will get you what you want.

Regards,
Richard

With this one either
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
Here are my two Ubertis, fully fluted with iron backstraps and triggerguards.

Kevin

Kevin,

Very nice to see that you are not averse to a "clunky" 1850's squareback TG on a streamlined 1860's Colt. Where did you find an iron/steel TG for that?

Interesting that no one else has commented upon that, given the "streamlined" nature of the thread.  ;)

I like it, but then, I always like squarebacks.

Those pistols are 4-screw frames and are cut for shoulder stocks, and have cap grooves in the recoil shield. They don't have rebated cylinders, so not .44 caliber.

You must 'splain these to me, please.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 05:21:33 AM »
...Kevin,

Very nice to see that you are not averse to a "clunky" 1850's squareback TG on a streamlined 1860's Colt. Where did you find an iron/steel TG for that?

Interesting that no one else has commented upon that, given the "streamlined" nature of the thread.  ;)

I like it, but then, I always like squarebacks.

Those pistols are 4-screw frames and are cut for shoulder stocks, and have cap grooves in the recoil shield. They don't have rebated cylinders, so not .44 caliber.

You must 'splain these to me, please.

Jim...

Jim,

Here is a hint, the barrels are 7 1/2" long, not 8".  The grip frame is also a bit shorter.

They are Uberti made copies of the Colt 1861, mine were built in the early 70s and are from the factory.  I happened upon the pair and grabbed them at The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio.

Love answering questions so ask away.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »
I have exactly one ’61 by Pietta with the 8 inch barrel.  Did Colt ever make an eight inch ’61 (never heard that Colt did)?  Mine is a tack driver but I wish it was historically accurate. 

Fingers:  I have coveted your collection for years.  Great photos there boys. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
I have exactly one ’61 by Pietta with the 8 inch barrel.  Did Colt ever make an eight inch ’61 (never heard that Colt did)?  Mine is a tack driver but I wish it was historically accurate. 

Nope, all were 7 1/2.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
Thanks Hawg.  I should have gotten an Uberti.  I’m real big on historical accuracy but after 18/19 years I’ve grown quite fond of that dern Pietta ’61;  it shoots great.  No muzzle flip whatever, it just settles back tighter in the hand after each shot. Guess I’ll keep this one but my next 1861 will be an Uberti for sure.

I think Colt 1861's are some of the most handsome revolvers ever made.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:17 PM »

So do I G Dog, so do I.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Thanks Hawg.  I should have gotten an Uberti.  I’m real big on historical accuracy but after 18/19 years I’ve grown quite fond of that dern Pietta ’61;  it shoots great.  No muzzle flip whatever, it just settles back tighter in the hand after each shot. Guess I’ll keep this one but my next 1861 will be an Uberti for sure.

I'm pretty big on historical accuracy too. I always bought Pietta's because they were cheaper and I was always on a tight budget. I think they are too but I never had one. Don't even have a 60 anymore. I was always about .44's and wouldn't look at a .36 twice, not even as much as I loved the look of the 51. Then I got one and now have more .36's than .44's :D