Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Conversion Cylinders  (Read 10795 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Conversion Cylinders
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
Excellent!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:28 AM »
Mike,

A well thought out and worded response.  Thank you.

Hey Kevin,
  I'm going to say you are right as far as what you are saying (about conversions). For me the difference is, the conversions of old were chambered for the "current" cartridges and cartridges them selves were in their infancy. Fair enough.
I personally don't want to load rimfire cartridges, outside lubed cartridges and the oddball cartridges, I'll stick with what they did originally and go with what's current, easy, and most of all, safe! Safe would be including modern ordinance steel that will let you "play with loads" safely. No ruffled feathers here! In fact, no matter what anyone says, my "modern converted" revolvers are my most favorite revolvers I've ever owned. And that, to me, is what trumps "exactly copying" for the sake of " the way they were back then"...

I had not considered it from the point of what was then current, an interesting way to look at it.  I have handloaded ammunition since I started shooting muzzleloaders and still do.  You're correct, outside lubed cartridges are a bit more finicky than the inside lubed ones.  Rimfires were common but not the sole form of ignition, central fired cartridges were introduced by at least 1866 when conversions were starting.  I would like a reliable way of loading rimfires, just to extend my shooting.  I was not aware the conversion cylinders were made of anything other than what the C&B revolvers used.

... Would you feel better if you shot inferior materials when better is available?  ...

Definitely not, I am constantly amazed at what passed for good steel even as late as the 1903 Springfields.  I think rebar uses better materials!

... Outhouses are still available and in use in places, but I've never had one at home and wouldn't.  Change is, more times than not, better if only safer. I know some old timers argued that they would never poop under the same roof they ate under!! ( come to think of it, depending on the area the roof covered, I may not either!!!)...

I have used and still use outhouses.  Not daily but often enough to appreciate a warm bathroom!  I recall reading in a home restoration site that the bathroom actually was incorporated into the home long before a sepreate room for the kitchen was common.

... On the firearm note, you make it sound like folks that assemble/make their own firearms as somehow "shady".  There is nothing wrong (or illegal) with a person manufacturing their own firearm! You just have to register it if you sell it, and/or you must get a manf.ffl license if you intend to sell / distribute your manufactured firearms.  ...

I did not mean to imply any form of shady.  And thank you for reminding me of the part the manufacturer license.  Totally had forgotten about that one. 

... But, it is nice to know that if the real " Goons" ever go door to door "collecting " the guns on the list that you filled out paper work on at purchase (which is to me an infringement!) I'll at least have a few things better than a stick or a rock to take back my government!! When your government makes it law, that you are a criminal if you want to protect yourself and your loved ones (even from government) they cease to be your government and they become your master.  This is the sole reason the 2nd Amendment exists!!

It doesn't scare me WHO might have a firearm, I fear the "WHO" that wants to take mine away because someone else used one in a crime.
 So, on that note , maybe only slightly ruffled!! Lol!  Anyone can think what they want, its when they "force" their belief on me that things could get ugly.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

If that time ever happens, they will have had enough time to thoroughly search the web and see all the photos we have freely posted over time. 

Like I said Mike, a well thought out response and it gives me something to consider.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline rayb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
[QUOTE} I would like a reliable way of loading rimfires, just to extend my shooting. [UNQUOTE]

Dixie used to sell cartridge cases that used 22 blanks as the primer.  Don't know if they still do or not.  I have no actual hands on experience with them. 

rayb

[EDIT ADDED}  Checked, & yes they list several versions. Google is your friend, or try this:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_101_287

rayb
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:43:36 PM by rayb »
gato viejo

Offline rbertalotto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
It's all about hand fit. I shoot CAS and have rather small hands...(BTW, what they say about guys with small hands is absolutely not true!)

I shoot a converted set of 1860 Colt "Londons" with the longer grip. All fingers are on the grip. None hang down below.

I find the hammers very easy to aquire.

I also have a set of  1851 Colt conversions, 1858 Remington conversions and a set of 1873 Colt SAA.....Timed, I'm much faster with the 1860 Londons.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »
It's all about hand fit. I shoot CAS and have rather small hands...(BTW, what they say about guys with small hands is absolutely not true!)

No comment.... ::)

I shoot a converted set of 1860 Colt "Londons" with the longer grip. All fingers are on the grip. None hang down below.

I find the hammers very easy to aquire.

None of my fingers hang below the grip  (A.K.A. "the pinky curl") on my Armies either. Navy; yes. Remmies; not if I don't want a "knuckle duster"

I also have a set of  1851 Colt conversions, 1858 Remington conversions and a set of 1873 Colt SAA.....Timed, I'm much faster with the 1860 Londons.

I thought you needed help posting pictures? Liar!!!!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline rbertalotto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »
Oh, I can post them from the photo host , no problem. It's when I try to move an article from my web site with embedded photos that the photos won't travel with the post..........Honest Injun!