Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .36 caliber for Frontiersman?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• View Profile
.36 caliber for Frontiersman?
« on: January 11, 2016, 05:04:51 AM »
I was talking with another bp fanatic about setting up a pair of Pietta '62 Colt Police models for Frontiersman.  He said that he stàrted out with .36's but went to .44's because the spotters kept calling misses because they couldn't hear the balls hitting the steel. Any thoughts on this? I currently shoot '58 Remmies but the colts seem to feel better in my hand.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: .36 caliber for Frontiersman?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:07:02 AM »
Fingers can tell you about competition.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
He could use the Lee conical if rules allow. Those things clang a gong a heck of a lot louder that a standard RB
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:39 AM »
My buddy has moved on to Ruger Old Armies but I ended up with  2 of the Pietta 62 Colt Police. I ordered one when Cabelas had them on sale for I believe $200 + $5 shipping. Liked it so much I ordered a second one the day it arrived. L@J  Since I have 2 I thought I ought to shoot them at least at a monthly. I have been competing for several years with '58 Remmies but the Colts are more comfortable in my hand.

I believe that Pietta makes their "62" on either the '51 or '60 frame. Would the short barreled '60 Army be the same pistol I have except in .44 caliber?

And yes I have already installed the pins under the hammer.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »
...I have been competing for several years with '58 Remmies but the Colts are more comfortable in my hand.

Seems to be a common comment... L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
I was talking with another bp fanatic about setting up a pair of Pietta '62 Colt Police models for Frontiersman.  He said that he stàrted out with .36's but went to .44's because the spotters kept calling misses because they couldn't hear the balls hitting the steel. Any thoughts on this? I currently shoot '58 Remmies but the colts seem to feel better in my hand.

I've been shooting .36 cal 1851 and 1861 Navies in CAS competition since 2000.  I can probably count on two hands the number of incorrect misses I have gotten in the time.  I've had more misses counted as hits because of the smoke.  I go through 1500 - 2000 .380 round balls a year.  My load is 22 grains (by weight) of fffg Goex, Grafs, or Sheutzen powder (using a flask spout that is marked 21 grains), wonder wad, and a .380 round ball.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Fingers,

Thanx for the info. I have been loading a lighter charge than you - 15gr (1cc) using a Lee powder dipper. This has been plenty in .44 even for knockdowns. As humid as it is here in GA & FL the spout on the flask would not always fill correctly. The Lee dippers solved this problem.

I have been shooting .375 balls in my other .36 pistols. Do I need to move up to .380's in these new Piettas? Just got thru setting them up and haven't had the time to shoot them yet. Now that the FL State Championships are done I have some time to fool with them.

Thanx again
Hogleg Hunter

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:20:09 AM »
Pietta chambers are tighter than Ubertis.  The .375 balls work just fine, cut a good ring, and seal up.  The .380s are the right balls for Ubertis and 2nd Gens.  I've had .375s roll out of the chamber on a couple of my Ubertis.  The .380s also work just fine in a Pietta, it just requires a little more pressure on the loading lever to seat them.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 05:48:26 AM »
That's good to know. I have a pair of Uberti '62 Police on order. I'll have to get some .380's before they get here.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »
...I have a pair of Uberti '62 Police on order...

The Uberti is a completely different revolver than the Pietta.  The Uberti more closely copies the Colt Pocket Police revolver (5 shots) while the Pietta is a decent approximation of the Colt 1861 (6 shots).

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
...I have a pair of Uberti '62 Police on order...

The Uberti is a completely different revolver than the Pietta.  The Uberti more closely copies the Colt Pocket Police revolver (5 shots) while the Pietta is a decent approximation of the Colt 1861 (6 shots).

Kevin

I know. That's why I ordered them. They have been on backorder for several months now. Hopefully I'll get them soon.