Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Leech & Rigdon (ex-1851)  (Read 9711 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: My Leech & Rigdon (ex-1851)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Ringo,

I know it is late at night there now, but let me know if I can be of further help.

If you get the bid, and the seller won't ship to you or Cherry's (or any other shipper), I might be able to act as a middleman insofar as a shipping destination before forwarding it to an international shipper of your choice. Let me know (PM) and I will send you my physical/mailing address if you wish to do so.

I am making no promises insofar, and if I receive your pistol shipment it will be sent on to the international shipper unopened (it is not my pistol; it is just a package) and I'll eat the cost to ship to your shipper because you are between a rock and a hard place, and...

You are a good guy in a hard place when it comes to obtaining what we in America take for granted.

Let me know your path and what you decide.

I have always enjoyed our conversations. I have not been on ROW for a while as I feel I have nothing substantial to contribute.

Sincerely,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer, Jim. I do appreciate.
I have taken a look at the site you pointed me too, and they advertise $500 in fees to start, and then additional charges between $200 and over $1.000.
Which means that if I bought a $250 gun, the total I'd have to pay (price + fess & charges) would be at least $1.000.
Moreover, they require an import certificate which is never delivered by any French authority, as buying a black powder replica is free in france when you're over 18.

So now, I know I won't ever be able to buy a gun from any American dealer, and I understand why no dealer wants to take the hassle.

Once again, sincerest thanks, Jim. Should a miracle happen, I would take up tour offer gladly, but miracles don't happen too often in my neck of the woods...

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer, Jim. I do appreciate.
I have taken a look at the site you pointed me too, and they advertise $500 in fees to start, and then additional charges between $200 and over $1.000.
Which means that if I bought a $250 gun, the total I'd have to pay (price + fess & charges) would be at least $1.000.
Moreover, they require an import certificate which is never delivered by any French authority, as buying a black powder replica is free in france when you're over 18.

So now, I know I won't ever be able to buy a gun from any American dealer, and I understand why no dealer wants to take the hassle.

Once again, sincerest thanks, Jim. Should a miracle happen, I would take up your offer gladly, but miracles don't happen too often in my neck of the woods...

I told you that it would be expensive, but OMG I am appalled at what it would cost. Just for a piece of hardware. I am with you in your opinion that a miracle won't happen.

This is off topic, but:

When I was a teenager, I worked at Roberts' Shooting Park in Elkhorn, Nebraska (it is now the site of a community college), and that is where I learned to shoot skeet. It was basically an afternoon job (4 PM to 10 PM) after school and on weekends for $1.50/hr. I would go to high school with a Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun in the trunk of my car with a case of shotgun shells, and no one said a thing about it, much less worried about it.

I am still, at 64, much better with a shotgun than a pistol.

Nearly 50 years later, the situation has changed so drastically here in America that I would be presumed a terrorist for having such things.

Pete Townshend once said: "Hope I die before I get old".

I am at that point in life.

You take care, Ringo.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo