Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: LeMat  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
LeMat
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
A bunch of years ago, I had a LeMat cavalry model.  I shot it a few times & found it was fun to shoot 9 rounds from the cylinder & 1 shot load from the arbor/barrel.  I ended up selling it (for more than I paid) because I wanted something else and the LeMat was just gathering dust.  Sometime after I sold the LeMat, I became a "Collector", of mostly NIB replica revolvers, hanging on to whatever I bought regardless of whether tey'd ever be 'used'. 

I've been trying to replace that LeMat for a few years now.  Only problem is, the price of even a used LeMat has skyrocketed.  You can't find one on GunBroker for less than a $900 starting bid and most are over $1000.  That is till today.  I managed to snag one for $606.  Ought to be here next week.  Will be adding it to my Confederate Replicas photo and giving it some range time.

Stay Tuned
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
Re: LeMat
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »
Hope it is in good condition!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »
LeMats have always got my interest, but not in my price range.
Enjoy it as you did the previous one.
Look forward to more shooting info.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »
I've been stopping to stare at the LeMat revolvers when they come up for sale.   You are correct about the prices.   I can't think of a better place for one than in your collection.    Good for you.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »
Hope it is in good condition!

Pictures look good.  Seller said it had been fired , cleaned and put away.  Comes with box & papers; so............
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »
Good score, Fingers!  I have every Confederate replica except the LeMat, but I can't justify $1,000+ for one.

TC

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
Good score, Fingers!  I have every Confederate replica except the LeMat, but I can't justify $1,000+ for one.

TC

I couldn't justify the $1000 plus price for one either.  I could pay it; but would not have made me happy.  Been waiting a good while for a bargain.  It arrived on Saturday.  Took some time today to take it apart & clean it.  Cannot get the side plate screw loose.  It'll have to soak in Kroil for a few days.  Rest of disassembly went smooth.  It had a fine sheen of rust on all the parts that came clean with some RB17 and Balistol.  It had supposedly been fired; but you couldn't tell it.  Box is near perfect & all he papers came with it.  Since there was some Dixie Gun Works papers in it; I'm supposing they were the retailer that  sold it.  In checking it out, it was almost impossible to cock the hammer with one hand, took two hands and you had to pull it back quickly to get the sear to engage.  I think the bolt is sticking or damaged because the cylinder does not lock at full cock and slips a little when you let the hammer down.  Of course, I cannot do a thing till I can get the side plate off.  Once I get it 'tuned up' we'll do a range report.

I've got a complete CSA Replica set now TC.

Here are a couple pictures of it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:41:34 PM by Fingers McGee »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
Looks good on the outside now.   Can't wait to see what the internals look like,  and to hear how it shoots.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:30:31 AM »
Hi Fingers, that is sure one interesting looking revolver. I look forward to seeing your shooting report for this revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ehvhram

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
That looks nice. Ive wanted one for a while now.
I passed up a good deal on one last year im still
kicking myself for.

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 01:59:06 PM »
Hope its just gummed up and nothing broke.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »
Hi Fingers, did you get the issues you had with the LeMat straightened out?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Finally got it apart.  The side plate did not want to come off.  I ended up squirting some PB Blaster in he action and letting it sit a couple days.  After that, three good raps with the hammer & the plate fell off.  You could see the rusted areas I the mating surfaces that kept it from coming off easily.  Took it all apart & cleaned the surface rust.  The bolt had been sticking; but the hammer wasn't releasing it when cocked.  Once I figures out the geometry, adjusting the bolt release wasn't a problem.  Did a little filing on the hand to smooth the rough edges; but, after reassembling everything, I think it needs more work.  I think the hand is too long and is part of the cocking problem. It's trying to rotate the cylinder after the bolt drops; but before the full cock is engaged.

I've had to set it aside for the time being.  Had cataract surgery & need to recover before I try o do any close work.