Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Two Pockets today.  (Read 6573 times)

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
Two Pockets today.
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:40:42 PM »
I couldn't resist any longer putting off getting another revolver. Today I was up in the Gold Country, sort of celebrating an event from long ago. I walked into a gun shop and went to the black powder section. I looked at a few rifles and stuff. Then I stepped over to the handgun display case. There were three pristine second generation Colts there. One was an 1851. It was beautiful and near mint condition. I thought about getting it. But I already have one that I bought forty years ago. So I passed on that. But just below the 1851 was an 1862 Pocket Navy, and an 1862 Pocket Police. The Pocket Navy had a small scratch on the grip... no big deal.

I asked to see the Pocket Navy, and then the Police also. Why, I don't know. I have two Police revolvers already, one Colt and the other Uberti. My Valentine, the boss, was with me. She turned to me and asked if I was getting another gun. I said no, that I was just looking... She said "Don't you already have this one?", pointing to the Police. I said I did and I bought it with my last paycheck when I retired. And I reminded her of the Uberti version also. Then I asked her "Which one do you like?". She pointed at the Police. I picked it up and handed it to her to let her get the feel of it. Then I handed her the Navy. She said the Police "feels better in my hands, plus it is prettier than the other one."

I asked the store clerk about the revolvers. He said a collector had stopped in the shop with five Colts and dropped them off to sell. One was already gone. We talked a few minutes more and then I asked if they were firm on the asking price. He said they were. And then I asked about a price for both.... Separately they were just about sky high. The clerk said he'd have to call the owner and see what he would accept. I thanked the clerk. He took a few steps toward the phone and then stops and turns to me. "What are you offering for the pair?" he asked. I paused and then just pulled a low ball figure out of thin air. L@J My Valentine asked if I was nuts... The clerk asked if I was serious. I said I was and repeated the figure. The clerk almost was not going to make the phone call. He talked it over with his partner in the shop. Neither one of them thought the owner would accept my ridiculous offer.

Meanwhile, Valentine is asking what I'm going to do with two more guns...especially since I have two Police models. I kept my cool and came up with something really believable. (@+ In the background we could hear the phone conversation. The clerk asked for the owner of the revolvers... he wasn't at home and wouldn't be for a couple of hours. The clerk explained the reason for the call and gave the person on the other end of the phone my offer. And then we hear a loud "What? Who is this? Go ahead? Can I put that on the sales ticket? And your name? Ok, I'll just put that on the ticket." He hung up the phone, turned to me and said I'll write you up for the sale. His partner asked who he had spoken to. The clerk said he spoke to the owner's wife and she said to go ahead and sell them. The partner said to make sure she was quoted on the inventory tag/ sales record.

While the store guys were scratching their heads over what just happened, J*j I had to promise Valentine she could shoot the Police model. She was satisfied and complimented me on my bold stroke. I paid for the revolvers. They were put in their respective boxes and handed to me. I said my thanks and headed toward the door. :-* My Valentine and I were last seen driving off into the sunset by the guys in the gun shop. &\? I paid just a very thin shade over the original prices for both. It was a good day.  (7&

I think they might lock the store's door if they see me coming their way again... 8)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Two Pockets today.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:34 AM »
Wow!! I didn't know Trumps forum mane was DoubleDeuce1!!

Nice!! Congratulations!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 02:28:03 AM »
Congrats on that lucky strike ! When do we get to see them ?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »
Good deal!  Waiting for photos.

(If you need to make room for them, I could be interested in the others.)

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
Nice job DoubleD, looking forward to seeing a few pics when you get around to it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »
Great score! &\?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
My copy of the sales receipt says "Phone offer accepted by wife".  *6' )l_ (7&

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
I have scored like that too. So much fun! We need pics.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »
DoubleDeuce1 asked me to help him with the photos.  Hopefully this works.

Here are the two Pocket Police revolvers, the Colt is on top.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »
Next up are the two Pocket revolvers he got.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:29:19 AM »
And lastly, a shot of the revolver with his initials engraved on the shield of the backstrap.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for posting those photos.  I am no photographer. 8)

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:50 AM »
I really like the engraving. Did you do it yourself ?

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
Ringo,

I only designed the interlocking initials for the engraving. I took the revolver to an engraver in San Francisco for the work. It was hand cut and not done by machine. The engraver has done four guns for me. He did two Uberti Pocket Police models. One has my initials and the second has my nephew's initials. I gave the second revolver to my nephew as a gift. The other two pieces are Thompson Center Patriot pistols. On those he just cut my initials in the butt caps on both pistols. Very clean and simple. 8)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »
That s  a wonderful post.  The expersince and so on.

I recently discovered , ,  more like ,-   f o u n d ! ,  because I was looking for one, a black gen 62 Police.  Got it for $570.  It s  a lot, but I got it.  great looking!  It is by all around favorite regarding looks, feel, weight, size etc.

I also got a grey gen 49 Pocket.  Fairly nice.  Not anywhere near as nice as the 62.  The gloss type finish of the grey gen is not as imersive and deep as the black gen.  There is this deep indigo blue on this 62 that is somewhat   e n t r a n c i n g .  The TG/BS  is also silver, where the 49 is more of a ,  kinda,  nickel.