Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Rogers & Spencer  (Read 8856 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
My Rogers & Spencer
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »
Been wanting one of these for, well...a long time. Finally got the opportunity, and it turned out to be a pristine, unfired Euroarms version. Still haven't fired it yet. It's kinda like having an unopened comic book. But I know I can't hold out much longer; I get weaker every time I pack up for the range!

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Southron

• View Profile
Re: My Rogers & Spencer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
Introducing the replica Rogers & Spencer revolvers was entirely the idea of Mr. Louie Amadi, the owner and President of Euroarms of Brescia,Italy. By the way, it was Louie Amadi that got the first replica 1851 Navy Colts in production in Brescia, Italy for the late Val Forgett of Navy Arms in the late 1950's. Hence, Mr. Amadi qualifies as one of the three co-founders of the modern replica industry. The third co-founder was the late Bill Edwards, author of the book "Civil War Guns" and the Technical Editor of "Guns" magazine for amny years.

I first met Mr. Amadi in 1975. He had flown to the U.S. to attend the Baltimore Gun Show and purchase an original, mint condition, Rogers & Spencer. He carried the Rogers & Spencer back to Armi San Paolo (where most of Euroarms replicas were produced) and the process of "reverse engineering" the original so the drawings for the production R & S could be made. Matter of fact, Euroarms of America was founded to help with the distribution of the replica Rogers & Spencers in the United States.

My personal involvement was suggesting to Mr. Amadi that the markings on the top strap "Rogers & Spencer" "Utica, New-York" be copied on the replicas. Not to make a "fake," but for historical authenticity. The name "Euroarms of America" was stamped plainly on the top flat of the octagonal barrel clearly indicated that the pistol was a replica.

So, I guess that that qualifies me as the "founder" of the "De-farb" movement that has swept through the ranks of the Re-enactors.
over the past few decades. At the time, I didn't realize that would be the case.

As far as anyone knew, the original Robers & Spencer's purchased by the Ordnance Department had the unique distinction of being a pistol that "Never Fired A Shot in Anger" during the entire Civil War. The Ordnance Department placed a contract with the firm of R & S in late 1864 for 5.000 revolvers with the first lot of 500 being delivered in early 1865. The company had delivered all 5,000 revolvers called for in the contract by September of 1865-several months after the end of the war.

Those 5,000 revolvers went into storage and remained there until 1901 when the Ordnance Department auctioned the entire supply of mint condition, Rogers & Spencer Revolvers off. That being said, the R & S firm also sold approximately 800 revolvers on the commercial market that were probably purchased by officers and probably a few of these arms did see combat in the closing months of the war.

Today the replica Rogers & Spencers are now "orphans" as Euroarms and Euroarms of America has now shut down. That being said, here are a lot of Rogers & Spencers around and a few show up on GunBroker from time to time.

Probably the rarest of the replica Rogers & Spencers are the ones made with the Walther Match Barrels. European shooters praise the pistols as being extremely accurate. Before Euroarms of America went out of business, I called the company and asked what U.S. distributors or dealers handled the R & S revolvers with the Walther Match Barrels.

The person I talked with on the phone at the company HQ in Winchester, VA HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE ROGERS & SPENCERS WITH THE WALTHER MATCH BARRELS!!!

However, the Henry Krank company in England is still advertising Euroarms Rogers & Spencer Revolvers with the Walther Match Barrel!
So, IF you want the BEST replica Rogers & Spencers ever made, better order one now from Henry Krank because they are now "out of production" for good:

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=694_743_746_747&products_id=7077

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »
I had heard Pedersoli bought the rights to produce the R&S from Euroarms, but is sitting patiently on that right. I bought mine right at the time EA went belly-up; that is what spurred me to buy it then & there and probably pay more than I should have!
Dixie was offering the R&S in a beautiful "London Grey" finish that REALLY makes the R&S shine.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:04:20 AM »
I like it!  L@.

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
Pedersoli did indeed purchase a lot of the tooling from Euroarms such as the tooling for the Euroarms Enfield Rifles, the Mississippi Rifles, the Cook & Brother Carbines and others. Pedersoli also purchased the tooling for the R & S, but my understanding is that the R & S tooling is so worn that the tooling will have to be rebuilt extensively before Pedersoli can began building any new Rogers & Spencers.

When you consider that Perersoli builds very high quality replica arms, IF they ever do start making Rogers & Spencers I can guarantee that they will be very high quality.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
Yes. And, appropriately priced..... L@J

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
Do any of the members here have a Rogers & Spencer by Feinwerkbau?
(or a Remington 1858?) Pretty expensive guns. What is the story on those?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:10:51 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
Nope, don't own either a Feinwerkbau Rogers & Spencer or one of their replica Remmies. What I do know is that they are very expensive and are precision target revolvers. At one time, if I recall correctly, they also made a Mississippi Rifle replica.

Their primary business is making precision air rifles and precision air pistols:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feinwerkbau

From the Wikipedia link you can go to their website and download their catalog.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »
FWIW, the Euroarms R&S guns are reportedly some of the most accurate C&B guns made, which is why so many find their way into competition. I have not shot mine yet so can't comment.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
Hoping to burn some charcoal with this bad boy this summer. (and a bunch of others as well)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
I'm still kicking myself for selling mine. It was the stainless model with engraving.  (K|
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
I'm still kicking myself for selling mine. It was the stainless model with engraving.  (K|

D'oh! ^j)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »

D'oh! ^j)

I know. Who do I see about turning in my BP pistol collectors card?   (??
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
Well, you can turn in your BP card and send me everything you have!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:00 PM »
My R&S is my favorites revolver of all time, accurate with both bp and conversion cylinders. Try it, the grip isn't for everybody, but if it fit's you you're gonna fall in love!