Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: conversions  (Read 5098 times)

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
conversions
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
Are the Howell type conv cylinders traditional?    Thinking about getting one for my newPietta 60army. Opinions please.       Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: conversions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »
Not for Colt open tops.
 Ported or gated is what you got from the factory. Remington had the drop cylinders.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:26:39 AM »
Are the Howell type conv cylinders traditional?    Thinking about getting one for my newPietta 60army. Opinions please.       Mark

Hi omarkw, they sure are traditional in my house. Have Howell conversion cylinders for 1847, 1849s, 1851s, 1858s, 1860s, 1861, and 1863 Revolvers. Love them all!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:31:53 PM »
Mike, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thank you.
Rich, that's a lot of cylinders, glad you like them.. Think I'll try one. Did they all fit as drop ins or did you have to fit them?     Mark

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
Hi omarkw, they rarely just "drop in". If you get into any issues fitting a conversion cylinder, just ask for help. There may be issues with Pietta Remingtons and Colts. Solutions are usually very simple.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
OK thanks, Richard.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »
I just got the Howell ,45 long Colt conversion cylinder for my Whitneyville Dragoon. The cylinder to barrel gap is what I am happy with. Its close to.002-.004. But I never messed with these things before. What should that gap be? Also,what should one look out for problems? The cylinder works great on the gun. I haven't shot it yet, Friday looks like the day to give it the test. I have a box Of "Cowboy Action" rounds. Semi wad cutters,255 grain that go 850 FPS made by ARMSCOR. I wonder if these are black powder,or smokeless. Anybody know?  &\?
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Eric N,
 All I can ask is how do you know? A barrel/cyl clearance should be a defined number, not a range (unless you have extream runout on the cylinder). If you tap the wedge in till it stops, what kind of clearance do you have?
If you never addressed the arbor fit, I can tell you it's too short.
  Your Dragoon is still shootable but it won't take long to wear out a wedge . 

As far as the powder used for your cartridges, it should say on the box. I use Tight Group (smokless) for mine.

Have fun and good luck!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:14:23 AM »
Hi, while doing my half hour treadmill workout each morning I watch DVDs of westerns that my wife is tired seeing. Today, there was that famous scene from Pale Rider where Clint changes out his 1858 Remington cylinder. What a rush. Conversion cylinder video doesn't get any better!!

While an 1858 cylinder change out is easy, it's just as fast with a Colt that is properly set up. Been there, done that.

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
I often have a second cylinder with me and to save time, I have it loaded in a second revolver. 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »
You wouldn't be able to swap cylinders with any of mine without a "wooden mallet" (or the like). Like the originals, you have to tap the wedge in and out on mine. You can't stick them in and pull them out with your fingers (or thumb) and "set" the tension  (take out the slack of "fitment").  If you do use your fingers, measure your bbl/cyl clearance. Now, tap the wedge in (it will sound solid when positioned) and measure the clearance. It changed. It takes some pressure to set the wedge but that's how you end up with the same gun every time (with a correct arbor fit of course).

Remies on the other hand are the quintessential  "drop cylinder " revolvers! I use one as a "sometimes carry" with a 6 shot R&D cyl (.45C).  My rest of the time carry is an El Patron (5 1/2 er  .45C).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com