Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How many Uberti 1851 models?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
How many Uberti 1851 models?
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:11:33 AM »
How many different models are there of the Uberti 1851 Navy not including commemoratives?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: How many Uberti 1851 models?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »
Are you going to count the Ubertis that carry the stamp of the importer as an individual model?  For example, just in Ohio, I am aware of Replica Arms and The Log Cabin Shoppe both having imported and marked Uberti 1851 revolvers. 

Or are you looking for the number of models based on trigger guard shape, front sight shape, various Uberti marks, guard material, backstrap material, etc.

Not trying to be belligerant, just trying to get a level playing surface.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
That's a fair question. I just meant based on trigger guard shape and other architectural differences and types on material like steel vs. brass trigger guard, cast vs. forged frame. To add Uberti marks would also be interesting but I'm not concerned with importer marks.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
Current production or all dates?

All calibers or just original .36 ?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
All dates, only in .36. I have an old Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 Navy and was just wondering how feasible it would be to collect all the variations of Uberti 1851 Navy. 

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:46:09 AM »
I am not an 1851 fan, only have one.  But I am aware of Ubertis with square and round guards, steel backstraps, brass back straps, steel guards, brass guards, barley corn sights, pin sights, square notched hammer, "V" notched hammer, safety pins on cylinder, no safety pins on cylinder, safety slot in hammer, no safety slot in hammer, shield cut for shoulder stock, no shield cut, backstrap cut for shoulder stock, backstrap not cut, and at least three different Uberti TMs.  Right there, that is quite a few possible different revolvers.  I am not sure if the front sights ever came in different heights (like on the original Colts), nor if the round guards came in different sizes.  Also, not sure if the barrel lug had different shapes for the loading notch.

And then we get into finishes...

But, I think you see will need at least two different revolvers for your collection!

Fingers, or someone else who really knows replica 1851s, will be better able to give you the variations.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »
Fingers would be the man to ask.  L@.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Do you plan to collect Ubertis only, or Gregorelli & Uberti too, and even Original Hege - Ubertis ?
Uberti and Gregorelli & Uberti are 2 different companies, the latter succeeding the first when Aldo Uberti bought Gregorelli out, whereas Original Hege - Uberti is a special line of products, made by Uberti and refined by Hege.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:17:13 AM by Ringo »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
I'm not sure if I will collect them. What prompted this question is I saw a Uberti 1851 Navy with the squareback trigger guard. It was made in 1983 for Western Arms. Since I already have a GU which seem to be pretty rare, and the squareback model seems uncommon as well, it got me thinking about what it would take to seriously collect them. 

One another note, what is the quality of a 1983 vintage Uberti, was that a good era for Uberti? Would the fact that it was made for Western Arms indicate anything about the quality?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
Uberti has always been consistent as far as quality goes, in my opinion.  But, I also think that all Italian C&B revolvers are kit guns, some need more work than others but they all need work.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »
Fingers would be the man to ask.  L@.

When you add all the different importers and makers over the years, there are probably as many different configurations of 1851s as grains of sand (jh (I know, hyperbole ).  Uberti made 4 different models in Stainless alone between 1983 and 1987.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Here is the gun that inspired me to ask that question. It is a 1983 Western Arms Uberti with a silver plated squareback trigger guard for only $225. I should have acted faster because I missed it by one day. The seller sent me some other pictures but I'm not sure if I can post them to a public forum.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/915553646/selling-a-collection-of-Black-Powder-revolvers.htm