Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Let's talk Navy  (Read 64559 times)

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
Re: Let's talk Navy
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2016, 06:06:47 PM »
Lonesome
They shoot about identically... If I aim at the bottom of that abdominal "oblong spheroid" on the body of a silhouette target , at 25 yards , I will hit in the center area shooting standing w 2 hand grip.. W respectible grouping .. Have probably put around 300 rounds between the pair using the 15 or 25 yard ranges depending on what's available.. All I can say is that I am better with a Navy than I am with my Commander or Woodsman.. Really couldn't be happier with them.... I have been using a flask with an 17 grain measure  and lubed wads with .375 Hornady balls.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2016, 06:21:17 PM »
Sourdough
I had no idea how many combinations there were until I came across this:

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B023_Swayze.pdf

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2016, 06:35:15 PM »
Sourdough
I had no idea how many combinations there were until I came across this:

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B023_Swayze.pdf

I have that same .pdf  file.

That just scratches the surface. I have his book, and if you really want an eye-opener, purchase it: " '51 Colt Navies". Out of print and probably not cheap, but well worth the money. I think I bought mine last year for about $70.  :o

Good luck, sir.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:39:19 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2016, 07:00:34 PM »
Well , now I've got a book to look for👍

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
Well, I don't own any of ya'alls fancy phones, don't want one (my wife has one but I don't know any more about it other than how to answer an incoming call). I'm pretty much an analog guy, also, but I do have an old desktop computer and use Photobucket to post my pics, and have never had the problems that you have encountered.

Maybe all of the pop-ups and spam you get is due to the FREE app you are using? Hmmm... Always a price to pay one way or another.

Just sayin'...

Jim

No, the free app was for Flickr. No ads or pop-ups with that. They are all with Photobucket, which is why I don't use it any more.

That being said, if you have a Photobucket account, you can start posting full size pics here on the forum any time you are ready.
Read this link:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=97.0
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
Yes I have the free version of photobucket, it's slow due to all the ads. I hear if you have the pay version it runs faster because you don't get all the ads. Anyway, click on your picture in your photobucket library. When your picture comes up there should be a box with 4 sections on the right hand side of the screen. Right click on the appropriate section(I believe it's the second from the bottom) then go back to your post and left click and a box will come down, then right click on "paste" and the picture(in text form) will be in your post. The just click on preview to make sure you did it right.

Suntiger, thanks for the report. I really want to get one of those Pietta Navy's now.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »
Yes I have the free version of photobucket, it's slow due to all the ads. I hear if you have the pay version it runs faster because you don't get all the ads. Anyway, click on your picture in your photobucket library. When your picture comes up there should be a box with 4 sections on the right hand side of the screen. Right click on the appropriate section(I believe it's the second from the bottom) then go back to your post and left click and a box will come down, then right click on "paste" and the picture(in text form) will be in your post. The just click on preview to make sure you did it right.

Suntiger, thanks for the report. I really want to get one of those Pietta Navy's now.

Find your pic and click share. Left click the bottom code, the IMG code. Right click in the forum text box and paste it in with your message and the pic will be there.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:20:36 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
Hi, Cabelas has their .44 Pietta 1851 on sale for $149.99 with free shipping. See:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/pietta-model-1851-confederate-navy-44-caliber-black-powder-revolver/740536.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3D210086%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=210086

I ordered one to turn this Italian fantasy revolver into a pimp's special with nickel and copper plating. Worst case it can be thrown in the trash after experimenting what can be done on a Pimp's showgun.  &\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »
Richard,
You ARE a glutton for punishment. You know that, right?

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
Richard,
You ARE a glutton for punishment. You know that, right?

^^^^^ +1

What he said!   &\?

You must show us the results when you are finished with it (maybe in more ways than one  ;) ).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:13:07 PM by sourdough »

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »
Hi Kirk, if you are willing to wait, you should be able to buy a Pietta 1851 on sale from Cabelas, ~$170.

&\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard

Two months ago going on sale ? Did I miss it ?  I want one but ther $249
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
Hi Hewy, the economy is currently soft, I expect to see some good BP revolver deals from Cabelas soon. First come the brasser sales, next will come the steel framed. The Captain thinks that BP revolvers sales will soon decrease because of saturation. I disagree, after you own the first BP revolver, you need to own ten or twenty more.

Just keep watching Cabelas for sales.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
Richard, still waiting for you to tip me off on that Pietta Navy sale...... L@J

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2016, 11:47:04 AM »
Hey maybe we can give Cabelas a little push, how many from this forum alone
will buy now......just saying L@J
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »
Well, being on SS I am not ready to "push" as I don't have the money until Christmas for a Pietta 1851 Navy steel roundback TG to complete my 3 pistol mix-and-match collection.

You guys do all you can until then to get a sale, but I think Cabela's  corporate will just stick to their game plan.

Has anyone heard about the proposed/supposed acquisition of Cabela's by Bass Pro Shops?

Interested...

Jim