Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Let's talk Navy  (Read 64560 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk Navy
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
I've handled examples of most of those but none of them have the exaggerated bell bottom that Pietta's do. The new style Pietta grips come closer but it seems as if they went a little too far. I like the new style better at any rate.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
I've handled examples of most of those

You have handled examples of most of those?...

You posted after I posted about the original Colts.

Are you talking about the original type Colts I posted? If so, you are a lucky guy. And, your handling conclusion would be?

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
I've handled examples of most of those

You have handled examples of most of those?...

You posted after I posted about the original Colts.

Are you talking about the original type Colts I posted? If so, you are a lucky guy. And, your handling conclusion would be?

Jim

Yeah, I used to frequent C.W. relic shows and have handled many, many different original C.W. weapons. I was also a frequent customer of Rafe and Lori Eledge at Shiloh Relics in TN. In case you don't know, Rafe was an appraiser for Antiques Roadshow. I'm no expert on them however and it's been along time since I handled one. I think the last time I handled an original C&B Colt was in 98. I never got into the subtle differences between the models. I collected anything and everything and knew a little bit about most of it but not a lot about any of it. As I recall it was more a feeling of awe for me  to handle one than any real noticeable difference between original and repro. There's a difference between a repro and original Remington that is noticeable. The trigger guard is further away from your knuckles on an original.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
The original Colt's and Remingtons that I have handled felt different in my hand than the replicas too. A tiny bit smaller overall with a "feel" that is hard to describe.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2016, 04:36:21 AM »
Hi sourdough, there, now you have gone and done it. You destroyed my closely held belief that Uberti Colts are representative of the original revolvers. Therefore, since I am going to the dump to recycle cans and bottles this morning, I will also throw all my disgusting faux Colt Uberti's in the recycle bin. Goodbye Uberti Colts forever!!

)lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2016, 05:50:14 AM »
Hi sourdough, there, now you have gone and done it. You destroyed my closely held belief that Uberti Colts are representative of the original revolvers. Therefore, since I am going to the dump to recycle cans and bottles this morning, I will also throw all my disgusting faux Colt Uberti's in the recycle bin. Goodbye Uberti Colts forever!!

)lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard

Just send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly. ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2016, 07:12:28 AM »
Hi Hawg, the manager of the recycle station was shocked seeing me dump all those Uberti Colt revolvers into the recycle bin. He ran over and pulled out an Uberti 1851 out of the scrap, but then quickly threw it back in saying "oh, that's just an Uberti replica where it doesn't represent an actual 1851 Colt."

All those ugly Uberti Colt impostors are now history!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Oh, one more note: Before I got rid of all those Uberti's, I decided to shoot that new Uberti 1851 using the Howell 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder. Fifty shots were fired with excellent results, 2 to 2-1/2" groups from 25yds. Using the 148gr Magnus bullet and 2.7gr Trailboss loading grouped well. The new Uberti 1851 however did group ~10" high @ 25yds. A sight adjustment will be required. I think that the better accuracy from this new Uberti 1851 compared to the engraved Uberti 1851 is the solid conversion cylinder lockup compared to the sloppy lockup of the engraved 1851.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
Hi, while talking about 1851 sights, I did notice a difference between the Pietta and Uberti front sight. The Pietta front sight is more pointed than the Uberti where accurate sighting of the Pietta is easier than the Uberti 1851. Both revolver types do require lowering the rear sight slot if one ever expects to have the poi = poa.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
Hi, while talking about 1851 sights, I did notice a difference between the Pietta and Uberti front sight. The Pietta front sight is more pointed than the Uberti where accurate sighting of the Pietta is easier than the Uberti 1851. Both revolver types do require lowering the rear sight slot if one ever expects to have the poi = poa.

Regards,
Richard

Nobody expects that out of any Colt..... L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »
My Pietta 51 could stand to shoot a little lower but a 6 o'clock hold puts them in the top of the black from 20-25 yards.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »
Not an 1851 Navy, but what to make of the grips on this one from an ad in the Sept. 12, 1863 issue of Harper's Weekly?

I dimly recall reading that Schuyler, Hartley & Graham were Colt's distributers or agents at the time period.

My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »
Not much telling. There were a lot of folks making Colt knockoffs back in the day.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »
Not an 1851 Navy, but what to make of the grips on this one from an ad in the Sept. 12, 1863 issue of Harper's Weekly?

I dimly recall reading that Schuyler, Hartley & Graham were Colt's distributers or agents at the time period.

It is just an inept artist's conception. Look at the hammer position. It is neither in the hammer down nor half-cock position.

If one peruses various newspaper articles of that time period, one will find very inaccurate illustrations.

Take it with many grains of salt.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
I agree, but it is actually a very well executed steel engraving (if not accurate) as the original print is only 2 inches wide.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:58:48 PM by Bishop Creek »

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »

)lI

Regards,
Richard

Well, since I posted about the differences, Hawg plays second fiddle to me. I'll gladly accept any of your pistols, "correct" or not.   &\?

All in all, I just wanted to show that some of the urban legends don't hold up. To wit, I am a big fan of 1851 platform "fantasy" pistols. I don't have any qualms about mixing and matching parts to create what the original Colt or Confederate manufacturers never did. That is a luxury that we in the 21st century have as a reminiscent afterthought and availability of interchangeable CNC parts. I am somewhat of a purist insofar as books/study are concerned, and I use those as tools to produce (with replicas) similar pistols, but I also like to fantasize, and that is an anathema to some folks.

I hope you folks liked my post concerning Swayze's photos. If anyone can quote from some other treatise, I would welcome any information about that for my library.

Regards,

Jim