Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Captain steps in it!  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Captain steps in it!
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
Ewwwwwwww! Barefoot, too....  :D

Well, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
See, I got my latest Remmy brasser today. Happy Birthday to me, says I!
Until I opened it up.
I bought this one off GunBroker in the hopes of a quick tune and sale. After tearing it down I realize there is no way I would pass this on to another '58 member in the condition it's in. No way.
It's dirty with lots of fouling and rust on the internals. The bluing is in poor shape, even the bore is dirty. It looks as if the PO tried to shine up the brass, but did a lousy job at it. It's mottled and patchy, with lots of residue around the screws and under the grips. All the bluing has been polished off the screw heads. Oh, yeah....I could pimp it up and pawn it off to an unsuspecting fish, but you know the Cap'n don't roll that way. So, it looks like I have a new project on my hands, I guess. It won't end up for sale here until it meets the Captain's Code of Excellence.
I suppose I didn't get hurt on it too much; I didn't pay a fortune for it, but had no intentions of doing another project this soon. Oh well, it is what it is. C'mon along for another Project Ride. Better pack a lunch, though... M__
Here are the shots of the gun fresh out of the box:
(The pictures are in large format so you can see all the gory details)

The Cylinder......

The brass. Notice the poor attempt at polishing and the mottled look:

The bore:

Rust on the hammer:

The grips...dinged and nicked.

Barrel and muzzle:

Heel:

Internals. Note the rust on all the parts!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:02:46 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Captain steps in it!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
Ow.
My fingers hurt like hell tonight. Not from the hours of yardwork that the rest of my muscles ache from, but from the four hours AFTER that sanding and polishing the internals and brass on this gun.
Suffice it to say there ain't any rust to be found any more. Not a lick. Everything steel that was rusty is now polished and in the white.
I had a few moments of wondering; there were some tool marks on the mainspring that look like maybe a pair of pliers or vise-grips got used at one time. Tool marks on ANY spring are a no-no, so I sanded and sanded with 180 wet-or-dry until they were all out, then finished polished with 320, finishing up with 600. While I was at it, I smoothed and polished the area where the hammer roller rides, and smoothed and contoured the sides. Same went for the hammer, trigger, hand and bolt assemblies. Then I turned my attention to the frame; both inside & out. Now, some folks would ask why I'm wet-sanding and polishing the INSIDE of the frame...I dunno, maybe 'cuz when I pull the cylinder out I wanna see as much detail and craftsmanship in the hidden areas as in the easily viewed parts?
I don't do second-rate.
Somebody is gonna pay a pretty penny for my labors, and it's gonna be worth it. Wait and see!
No pix yet; I'll try to get some shot before I blue the white internals. Now why you wanna blue internals, you're asking? Again; so parts like springs and such won't rust. I took off any protective coating during the polishing process. Sure, I could oil it up real good, but that would be a second-rate job. And we're not going there.
More as it happens!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
Sooooooooo...
I was gonna shoot a nice pic of all the parts in the white, but I got too antsy to try out my Oxpho-Blue, so I forged ahead; and damn the torpedoes! I can't say enough about the Oxpho-Blue; it works just like they say it does! Well, hell; YOU be the judge!
The only parts I did not blue were the shanks and threads of the screws, and the bores of the cylinder; I haven't decided if I'm not gonna worry about it, or get it later? I don't have any clever plan to remove the creme from inside the bores yet, so I may have to ponder on it a bit. Anyway, on with the show!

All the parts after the "once-over":

Close-ups of the frame. Pay special attention to the INSIDE of the frame:

The cylinder axle pin:

The loading lever. Note the area that was completely "in the white" in the earlier pictures:

The cylinder; fore and aft. I removed all the bluing from both ends due to rust:

The hammer, after polishing and bluing:

Trigger, after polishing. I intend to leave it polished steel and not blue it:

Parting shot:

I think it's moving right along. Haven't decided whether to tackle the grips or not yet. So far, I'm a happy camper!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »
Well, I may have stepped in it, but my shoes are clean now!
I put a bunch of hours in on this one, but I'm pretty happy with the results, to say the least!

And, on the right: