Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Marlin Model 1894  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• View Profile
Marlin Model 1894
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
Howdy

I bought this old Marlin way back in the 1970s sometime. It was made the second year of production, 1895. I happened into a local shop and came across it and bought it pretty much as a lark. It is chambered for 44-40, which I had never even heard of at the time. The shop had one box of Remington 44-40 ammo, I still have a few rounds left in that box. Many years later I took it to the first CAS match I ever attended. Fired one shot and it jammed up tight. I had to have help unloading it and used a borrowed rifle for the rest of the match. I took it to a smith and he discovered that the hook on the lever that pulls the block down was completely worn out. He welded a bit more metal on and got it functioning again. However by that time I had bought a Winchester Model 1892 so the old Marlin pretty much gathered dust. I did have Happy Trails do a little bit of work to it, lightening the hammer spring among other things. I took it to a few matches, shooting my Black Powder loads out of it, but it doesn't get shot a whole lot these days.

I should probably bring it to a few matches this year.

Here is a view of the hook that needed a bit of metal added.

The front sight is interesting. I seem to recall it is a Lyman sight, and it has a tiny ivoroid bead set in it.

Somewhere I thought I had a photo of the caliber call out, but I don't seem to be able to find it. It says 44W. Not 44 WCF and not 44-40., just 44W. Anyway, here is a shot of the patent dates. You can see how much wear there is on this old rifle.

Here is the tang with the model number.

Question to the moderators:

My photos of the rifle are bigger than they are showing up here. How do I get them to show up bigger?

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Re: Marlin Model 1894
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »
Very nice. Timely posting as I have just rekindled my interest in an 1894 Marlin, not an original
rather a current manufacture. I understand the Marlins are past the problems they had
with quality of a couple of years ago.
PS pictures came out perfect.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:39:53 AM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:49 AM »
Howdy

I too am hearing that the current crop of Marlins are better than the recent past, but I have no direct knowledge of that.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing...a beautiful old rifle I would love to own!
Picture size is limited to 640 X 487 pixels so if you want larger pix you need to resize them to that sizing.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"