Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A Few WInchesters  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• View Profile
A Few WInchesters
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:33:46 PM »
Howdy

Here are a few old Winchesters.

Winchester Model 1873, made in 1887. Chambered for 38-40.

Winchester Model 1892 rifle at top, made in 1894. Refinished so it was quite reasonable to buy.
Winchester Model 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine at the bottom, made around 1916.
Both are chambered for 44-40.

Winchester Model 1894, made around 1941 if I recall correctly. Chambered for 30-30.

A couple of gallery Rifles.

Winchester Model 1890 at top, made around 1908. Chambered for 22 Long.
The bottom rifle is my Dad's old Winchester Model 1906, that his Dad bought for him in Abercrombie and Fitch in New York City in the early 1930s. This model feeds 22 Shorts, 22 Longs, and 22 Long Rifle interchangeably and it is still a tack driver.

Here is a photo of my Dad as a young man shooting the little Model '06 in Maine around 1931.

Just for fun, here is a photo of the Model 1873 with a Bisley Colt that was made in 1909. The Colt is also chambered for 38-40.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: A Few WInchesters
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:18:22 AM »
Good looking rifles.

I have an 1890 and a 1906.  The 1890 is a basket case I will eventually rebuild.  The 1906 is a fun rifle to shoot but the stock is too short for me.  It may get a longer one at some point.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:59:44 AM »
Very nice set of rifles Driftwood.   I also like that Bisley revolver.     

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:56:27 AM »
I have an 1890 and a 1906.  The 1890 is a basket case I will eventually rebuild.  The 1906 is a fun rifle to shoot but the stock is too short for me.  It may get a longer one at some point.

That 1890 I show is also a basket case. Oh, it functions fine, but the barrel is pretty much shot out. It won't group worth a darn compared to the little '06.

There is actually a funny story attached to my Dad's old Model '06. One day when I was around 15 years old or so I found a box in the basement that I had never seen before. I reached in and pulled out the little '06. I went upstairs and asked my Dad, 'What is this?'. He said, 'Well, I guess that's yours now.'

Unbeknownst to him I set up a little shooting range in the basement. I took a little wooden box, filled it with sand, and found a piece of plate steel someplace. I rigged up the piece of steel at a 45 degree angle over the box to act as a bullet stop. Then I rode my bicycle up to a local sporting good store and bought some 22 Shorts.

So when nobody was home I would take the little rifle down to the basement and shoot it. It was pretty quiet with the 22 shorts. I doubt if I used any ear protection.

My neighbor across the street heard about my new Winchester and called me over to his house. He showed me a beautiful Model 1890 mounted on a wooden rack. A few days later the neighbor called me over again and handed me a beautiful walnut rack just like his that he had made for my rifle. I kept my little '06 mounted in my bedroom until I went away to college.

So, the funny story is, my Dad had expressed to his Dad that he would like a 22 target rifle. My grandfather knew nothing about firearms, but he worked in Manhattan, and there was a huge Abercrombie and Fitch store on Madison Avenue. This was long before Abercrombie and Fitch became the yuppie clothing chain it is today. Abercrombie and Fitch was a huge sporting goods store. They occupied all 12 floors of the building on Madison Avenue and there was an entire floor devoted to firearms. There was even a shooting range in the basement.

Anyway, my grandfather came home that day with the little Model '06. But it wasn't what my Dad really wanted, he wanted a target rifle, and the '06 was a little gallery gun. I don't think he ever had the heart to tell his Dad that he didn't really like the rifle.

Yes, the '06 is really a boy's rifle, the stock is very short. Turns out my Dad had set up a little shooting range in his basement when he was a kid pretty much like I did. I don't think my grandmother much appreciated it though. My Dad had thoroughly greased up the rifle before he put it in storage, so after I degreased it it shot great. There isn't a whole lot of blue left on it, but the bore still looks like it just left the factory and it can shoot rings around that 1890.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
Love those old .22 gallery guns. Thanks for sharing DJ.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »
Great photos Driftwood. The .22 Winchester gallery rifles bring back found memories from the late 1950s when the first rifle I ever fired was a Winchester gallery riflle that belonged to a friend's dad. Always wanted one but ended up with an Ithica .22 single shot modeled after the Winchester '94. Been addicted to the smell of gunsmoke ever since.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
....Always wanted one but ended up with an Ithica .22 single shot modeled after the Winchester '94. Been addicted to the smell of gunsmoke ever since.
My dad borrowed one of those '94 Ithaca single shots from a friend and had it for well over a year. In that time it went with us (me) to the north woods and at age 14, that rifle and I bonded in a big way.
I warn't afeard of no bears..... ;)
I was heartbroken when the guy wanted it back. I truly loved that little rifle.

Here is an image taken off the internet, owner unknown. No copyright infringement intended:

Here is how the action worked (again, owner unknown, from Google Images)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:33:28 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:16:04 PM »
Brings tears to my eyes Captain, just like the one my Dad bought for me on my 14th birthday.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:52:35 AM »
The Winchester 1890 actually was a target rifle.  Targets were a bit different at that time mostly breakable and not paper.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
Brings tears to my eyes Captain, just like the one my Dad bought for me on my 14th birthday.

Yep, those ol' .22 long rifles would just slide right into that open chamber, remember? (For those of you that never saw one of these; the top of the receiver drops down at an angle; there is a little groove cut in there that guides the cartridge right on into the chamber; you close the lever and cock the hammer manually)
Great, safe little shooter, an excellent first gun that just screams "Cowboy!" at ya.
My brother has a Winchester 9422, another great looking and great shooting .22 with a definite Old West flavor!