Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hawken build  (Read 8299 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: Hawken build
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
Nice Hawken. There are actually a few original Hawken's that have really short barrels, like around 26", and it is believed they were made that way, not cut down.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
The Hawken Bros. would presumably make any length you wanted so it's possible. When I had mine built I was going by references from a book on Hawken rifles. I believe it was The Hawken Rifle, It's Place In History but it's been a long time since I've seen it and not sure where it got off to. Anyway it stated that barrels ran from 33-40 inches. Since then I've learned of shorter ones, as short as 30 inches but don't know if they were thought to have been cut.

I blatantly stole this post from another forum.

Jim Gordon in his book "Great Gunmakers for the Early West" Vol III says of barrels:  "...lengths range from 30 to 40 inches with the majority being 34 to 36 inches".  John Baird in his book "Hawken Rifle, the Mountain Man's Choice" shows photos of seven original Hawken rifles, whose barrel lengths I scaled out based on a 5" lock. Lengths were 32 1/2", 33", 33", 34", 34", 31 1/4" and 30 1/2".  These calculations are likely not exact but very close.  And that short one had a checkered pistol grip stock, a heavy barrel and a base for a tang mounted peep sight.  I have seen photos of at least two more similar but longer barreled Hawkens.  Shumway's Longrifle Articles Volume II page 158 has photos of an original J&S Hawken of .49 caliber, checkered walnut stock with a trigger reach of 14 1/2", one key, 30 3/4" long  barrel, with  charcoal blued iron butt plate, toe plate and trigger guard but all the rest of the furniture German silver.  The butt plate is 4 21/32" high and 1 9/32" wide.  A writer named Tag Rittel wrote in Buckskin Report (I think it was) of a Hawken he built with a short barrel for use on horseback hunting.  I think it was 28".  Probably would take me a couple of days to find this article, perhaps someone else has it.  Here are original Hawkens in Jim Gordon's museums.  I scaled that shorter one fifth down at about a 30" barrel.

Note that only one of them appears to have a patchbox.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:34:59 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 07:30:26 PM »
There was an article in Muzzleloader or Muzzle Blasts about the short barreled Hawken's. I think it's fairly recent, like in the past couple to few years.

Another interesting fact about Hawken's. Since I am fairly new to guns I like to pick up older publications when I find them. I got some old Gun Report "best of" bound volumes for like $2ea at a local gun shop. One of then had an article about I guy in 1850's California coast who hunted sea otters with a Hawken rifle. He said specifically the Hawken rifle was the best because it could shoot accurately out to 200 yards. He'd shoot them from the shore out and gather them up when they drifted in at high tide. The pelts were very valuable and he said it took 100 - 200 shots just to get one otter.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »
100-200 shots per otter doesn't sound very good. Just sayin, I've never hunted otter. ???
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.