Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Remington caps  (Read 20091 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Remington caps
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
Everyone has their preference, of course. I used to prefer RWS #1075 caps....when I could get them. These days I use the Remington #10 caps on the revolvers, and Remington #11 caps on the Plains Pistol and Trade rifle. The #10's fit all my revolvers, no pinching or squeezing required (and resulting potential for a chainfire) and they seem to "frag" less than CCI caps.....which is important to Colt shooters, as the Colt repros seem to like cap-swallowing and the resulting jams.
These are carried by Bass Pro Shops in-stock, and I believe, most Cabela's
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
Re: Remington caps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »
Everyone has their preference, of course. I used to prefer RWS #1075 caps....when I could get them. These days I use the Remington #10 caps on the revolvers, and Remington #11 caps on the Plains Pistol and Trade rifle. The #10's fit all my revolvers, no pinching or squeezing required (and resulting potential for a chainfire) and they seem to "frag" less than CCI caps.....which is important to Colt shooters, as the Colt repros seem to like cap-swallowing and the resulting jams.

I have read where Remington wasn't making percussion caps any more. Is this true, or untrue, to the best of your knowledge?

Thank you,

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »

I have read where Remington wasn't making percussion caps any more. Is this true, or untrue, to the best of your knowledge?

Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill, I just purchased a few thousand Remington #10 from Cabelas and Remington still has them on their website.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
I hadn't heard that rumor.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:11:04 PM »

Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill, I just purchased a few thousand Remington #10 from Cabelas and Remington still has them on their website.

Regards,
Richard

Richard, thank you so much for clarifying that for me.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »
For me? Getting any caps are hard around me. Most places right now don't have any of them. But, I do keep my eyes peeled for them.  ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
For me? Getting any caps are hard around me. Most places right now don't have any of them. But, I do keep my eyes peeled for them.  ;)

Hi Sam, you can buy them online from Cabelas, see:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remingtonreg-Percussion-Caps/705046.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dpercussion%2Bcap%26x%3D20%26y%3D11%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=percussion+cap&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

There is a $20 HasMat fee.

Buy over $99 and use the free shipping coupon will save you $9.99.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »
I bought Remington caps yesterday. The packaging advertised them as being 40% hotter than previous caps.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
Yeah, the new hotter caps do make Pyrodex go "BOOM" faster! (7&

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »

Hi Captain, so far, all my experience with Pyrodex P has been problematic. IMO there are now so many better BP substitutes than Pryodex. Other than the Pryodex pellets, Pryodex P is an obsolete BP substitute. Even the pellets are as dirty as hell.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »

Hi Captain, so far, all my experience with Pyrodex P has been problematic. IMO there are now so many better BP substitutes than Pryodex. Other than the Pryodex pellets, Pryodex P is an obsolete BP substitute. Even the pellets are as dirty as hell.

Regards,
Richard

Richard, I've had good luck with Pyrodex in all my BP guns. I'll give Real Black the edge on performance, but it's sporadic on obtainability around here without paying HAZMAT fees. Plus, all my load workups have been using Pyro so it seems a step backwards to start over with a new sub. I can go down to the local Bass Pro and buy it right off the shelf with no HAZMAT. Plus, I like the non-progressive fouling abilities at the range.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
Isn't using Remington caps on a Colt the same as using Mopar Oil in a Ford?  ???
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
Isn't using Remington caps on a Colt the same as using Mopar Oil in a Ford?  ???

Depends on whether you wanna leave the car parked in the garage with an empty pan or drive it.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? oh.  *6'
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:43:13 AM »
Hi, not all #caps are created equal, you may find this interesting:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=456.msg2934#new

Regards,
Richard