Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: cap shortage?  (Read 6791 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
cap shortage?
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
Hi, has anyone noticed that caps are getting harder to find, or you need to remortgage your house to buy them?

It amazes me to no end on how caps can cost more than cartridge primers.

Any thoughts on why the shortage, or high price?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: cap shortage?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »
Probably hoarders depleting supply and driving prices up. Obummer has everybody scared. If Trump is elected I would expect things to ease up. If it's Hillary the hoarders were right.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
Caps have been plentiful in Denver area for a couple years now.   For a few months in 2014 they were hard to find.   Right now all the big stores have them for $5.99/100 except Cabelas.  Cabelas is charging $7.99.     Both CCI and Remington in #10 and #11 are available.   

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
Caps here are as high as 8$ per tin for #10/11, and 10$ for musket.

A few weeks back, fffg type powders suddenly petered out as well as balls and caps.  Me and a buddy drove 3 counties one day, found a grand total of 400 balls, 4# powder and about 5 tins of caps.

Only fffg left on the shelf is app, and i won't use it.  I gave away a just opened pound to another shooter in our group.  It is granulated more like ffg when compared to goex or pyrodex.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
That's why I buy mine a case at a time.  When I get down to a couple thousand left, I start looking for replacement stocks.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
That's why I buy mine a case at a time.  When I get down to a couple thousand left, I start looking for replacement stocks.

I try to keep at least 2 thousand #10 Remington on hand,  and a thousand or so in a combination of Remington #11, RWS and CCI.   When getting down to the 2 thousand limit I shop around so I don't have to pay $7.99/tin.    Usually end up getting 2 or 3 hundred at a time.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »
When I got my back pay I looked online. I could find places that had CCI #10, CCI #11 and RWS musket caps for reasonable prices. BUT I couldn't find one single place that had all three. I couldn't even find one place that had Remington/CCI/ RWS.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
I live in a very remote area, and the three local gun shops here quit carrying percussion caps a few years ago, so I buy mine at Cabela's in Reno when I get a chance to travel up there.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 06:17:16 AM »
I have to drive about a hour and this gunshop has just about all kinds of caps. I can only buy 3 cap tins a day. Each tin is $9.99

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »
Yup.. Bp supply poor round'here too...

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 06:32:27 AM »
Hi, Cabelas has a 10% off and free shipping for >$99 order. The CCI caps aren't too bad for cost compared to the Remingtons. Of course there is a $20 hasmat fee. Get your caps while you can.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 08:56:16 PM »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »
If you buy Stripomatic or ring caps you can punch the dots out of Legends roll caps to use as a supplement and use the plastic caps. Stripomatic caps are the better deal because you get a lot more. They work fine with Swiss but I still haven't tried them with Pyrodex. With the Stripomatic you get 108 caps for a little over a buck and 2400 spots with the roll caps for a couple of bucks so around 3 bucks or so for the first 108 and then around a buck for the next 108 and the 108 after that and the 108 after that etc etc etc.