Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cleaning brass cases  (Read 9123 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Cleaning brass cases
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 09:39:38 PM »
I don't have an FA model,  If I did I would be sure there wasn't a recall on it.   I hadn't heard anything about problems with them. 
You're right about most people storing powder and primers in the vicinity of their case cleaning equipment Capt.   I do and I imagine most reloaders have their gear all in one spot.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 02:48:37 AM »
Hi Hawg, I have one of those Midway recalled tumblers. When I heard about the recall I contacted Midway and they told me to ship the tumbler back to them for replacement. However, when I saw what it would cost me to return the tumbler in shipping cost I figured, screw it, I'll just keep the damn thing until it smokes. It has been years and that tumbler never smoked, but I must admit to keeping an eye on it, checking every couple of hours when on. It has given me many years of good service.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 05:50:53 AM »
I don't remember what it cost to ship it but back then money really wasn't an object. I didn't really need it, I had replaced it with a Hornady. Now I keep one of them with corn cob media and the other with walnut shells.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »
I had one of the early Midway FA vibratory tumblers that was recalled. I wasn't worried about fire as I always set it on the basement floor so never sent it in. One time I forgot about it, had a pretty large load of brass in it. When I remembered it the next morning, the base holding the motor was melted! I had just overworked the unit.  I went to the local reloading shop and bought a Lyman. The recall was many years old already, but I called and they said to send it in. IIRC it cost about $10-12.00 to mail it and I got a new tumbler back. I now do like Hawg...one has corn cob media and the other has walnut shells. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard a tablespoon of citric acid in a quart of hot water really takes the crud off brass. Only takes a few seconds, then rinse well. Oh, and now I use a timer on the vibratory cleaners, set for about 3 hours!