Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Weekend Range Time  (Read 3884 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Weekend Range Time
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:19:27 AM »
Had an opportunity to do some shooting last weekend.    I was at my son's house in South Central Colorado near Kiowa.    The ranch he manages has a pistol range that is seldom used but well maintained.   Below are some photos of the range and the guns I brought along.

I had a new Walker, a new to me Griswold & Gunnison and a brand new Pietta 1858 all of which were fired by me for the first time.   I just loaded the up and shot the gong target at 30 yards.   All the first time guns worked fine.
I also brought along an 1871 Richards /Mason Army Conversion since it is always my favorite cartridge gun.   A couple other modern cartridge guns were also in the mix.    I believe I went through somewhere between 500-600 rounds altogether,   At least 300 of them were in the BP revolvers.

The Range was occupied when I arrived.

The G&G and 1858 and a view of the range (75 yards).

The new Walker

The Richards/Mason

Some scenery from the road to the pistol range.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Range Time
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »
Hi Mike, that covered range looks very impressive. Were the deer there learning to shoot?  ;) ;)

Besides the deer, what was the nature of the targets, paper, steel?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »
Hi Richard,   Yes the range is very nice,  I wish it was a little closer.   It's nearly a 2 hour drive for me.    I was shooting at an orange self-healing gong at 30 yards and a steel 5 inch spinner gong 60 yards away from the shade.    I was glad to have the covered shooting area.  It was 100 degrees on Sunday afternoon.   
I think the deer were just taking advantage of the shade.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
Hi Mike, I agree, if it's not convenient it will rarely be used. I am so blessed that I can go into my woods or even shoot off my deck anytime motivated. Our public ranges keep drying up, BP ranges almost nonexistent.

Even with a two hour drive, shooting all your interesting BP revolvers has to keep you satisfied, well, at least for a day or two?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
I like to shoot as many as possible each time I go down there.   Sometimes cleaning 5 or 6 all in a row gets tiresome but not having anything to clean is worse.   
This ranch also has the 1000 yard rifle range I use for shooting the Sharps Rifle.   There are steel targets set every 100 yards.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:41:42 PM »
Scooby,   300 was a lot but I was there Saturday and Sunday.   I would guess 220 or so were fired on Saturday.   On Sunday I shot more cartridge rounds than BP.   I have to take advantage when the opportunity presents itself so I ignored the hot weather and kept loading.   The last few cylinders I was lazy and missed quite a bit but still enjoyed myself.   I really do like shooting while by my self out there.