Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A good day at the range  (Read 3727 times)

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
A good day at the range
« on: June 23, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
I sometimes go to a public range located near where I live.  It is some miles out in the country.  I usually go on a weekday and in the summer it gets pretty hot and is less crowded.  There are actually two ranges connected and one of the benches is under the shade of some cottonwood trees in the summer mornings and it can be quite pleasant, especially when you have the place to yourself during the week. 

I went there on Tuesday to shoot the Uberti London Navy and was having a fine time when a man arrived with his two daughters who looked about 10 and 13.  He was shooting a modern 45 auto and having some trouble with it.  It turns out he used to have a remmi and he was interested in how I loaded my revolver, etc.  I let him and the girls examine the pistol, gave the girls a bit of a history lesson and let them see how it was loaded and fired and how that compared to Dad's pistol.  One of the girls took a keen interest in the pistol and how it was loaded and fired. She spent most of the time looking at my pistols and asking questions.

Dad said he used to load Crisco over the ball just like most of us learned and was surprised you could put the lube or wad UNDER the ball so you don't get all greasy.  No cap jams and the Navy performed flawlessly.  The same could not be said for the 45.

It was almost as big a kick to introduce the young kids to BP and teach them something as it was to shoot. 

A good day.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: A good day at the range
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Hi Gary, that's God's work. There's little in the world of shooting sports that helping bring new potential shooters into our hobby. Good for you!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
There’s nothing as pleasant as an interested, engaged kid that asks questions.  You did well Gary.  I have never known why everyone does not shoot our type of revolvers.  To know about them is to love them.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »
Always nice to get young people into the hobby.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:21 PM »
There’s nothing as pleasant as an interested, engaged kid that asks questions.  You did well Gary.  I have never known why everyone does not shoot our type of revolvers.  To know about them is to love them.

You're right G Dog. Went out shooting with a few friends a while back. They had semi-auto pistols and AR-15s. I had my 1858 Remington. They were intrigued by my pistol and delighted by the big BOOM. One of them had never heard of a black powder gun or seen a single action revolver before and he was amazed when I told him that that was all there was available in the Old West era and before. None of them could believe how accurate the Remington was as I outshot all of them with it.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.