Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Traded for a rifle  (Read 4436 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Traded for a rifle
« on: July 01, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »
I made a double gun rig for an antique/gun dealer I know.   We agreed on a price and when I finished it up and took it down to Denver to deliver it I expected to collect my money and leave happy.   The owner was happy to pay cash or said I could trade for equal value.   I had looked this 1859 Sharps rifle over before and was interested but really wasn't expecting to trade for it.   Long story short,  I brought it home with me.

Armi Sport 1859 Sharps Infantry model.    .54 cal paper cartridge or loose bullet and powder.  30 inch round blued barrel.   Lightly used.

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
Re: Traded for a rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »
Well traded.

Offline washbuster

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »
Got two of um the short and long barrel .Really fun shootin. now your gonna have to make paper carts for it. charlie hahn  makes tubes. makes loading pretty easy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:43:51 AM »
Figured I'd try both.  Hahn's tubes look like they'd be convenient.   I always seem to like doing things the old way so I'll try making paper cartridges too.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:11:33 AM »
Mine aren't traditional but they're easier to make than pistol cartridges and they work.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »
They look a lot like what I've seen before.   I see you dip the whole bullet.  That's a good idea.

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »
Wow.. Quite nice!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
They look a lot like what I've seen before.   I see you dip the whole bullet.  That's a good idea.

Yeah, even tho they're ringtails tying them on is a Royal PITA so I seat them to the second groove and glue them in. Then dip the whole bullet and the edge of the paper. Add 80 grains of powder and they fit perfectly and just the part where it's folded over gets cut off.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.