Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 COLT BRASER FANNING TEST  (Read 4184 times)

Offline washbuster

• retired
    • View Profile
1851 COLT BRASER FANNING TEST
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
Here's the test on my Goonerized 1851 Colt Brasser .44 Caliber .Load was 20 gr. of 777 and Homemade powder,lube pill,curler papers.Test went good, takes some gettin use to.Fanning aint natural. It never bound up and paper did not jam it up.Brushy said it would, but hah on you Brushy.Next time I'll load up 30 gr. and see what happens.  Just finished cleanin it . There is no hint of cylinder printing on recoil shield. Hardly any fouling at the cylinder arbor clearance.Ten more grains of 3f  will be the real test.Looks like the Goon did good again. The barrel gap has not changed from where he set it. Will keep track of the rounds through it so we can evaluate the performance of a tight brasser. Can't wait to get use to it and try it on a man size target.30 rounds witout a hitch.got a video but don't know how to put it up.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: 1851 COLT BRASER FANNING TEST
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:25:03 PM »
Brush has a vid up of him fanning.   But don’t try it without Goon having seen to your gear first. 

Dragoon 3d Mod at about 8:00:

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »
What gets adjusted, the bolt? ( for fanning)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
There's a bolt block, a hammer block and the hand is shortened so it won't go into battery without momentum and the bolt is timed to drop really early.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:38 AM »
Yes, Hawg is right. The bolt block is a game changer in how durable and reliable the bolt will be. The hand stops the "carry up" or rotation to battery. This is what makes a fanner a dangerous revolver in the hands of someone that is unaware of its function. Firing out of battery with a cap gun probably isn't as dangerous as with a cartridge gun but it's still not the "best" practice! There's also an action stop which positively stops the rearward travel of the hammer. This keeps the hand from being forced against the ratchet of a locked cylinder. It also allows you to have the same exact stopping point every time the action is cycled.
 You can produce a very accurate action using these additions in a regular setup. That is why I use blocks, and stops in my service. Just the addition of a bolt block in an otherwise "correctly timed" revolver can change the accuracy of that setup and thus, put the action out of time.
 The bolt drop is adjusted to  drop at least 2 bolt widths before the notch. You don't want it to drop at half cock or you won't be able to load it (the short hand gives you more "room" for this part of the setup since it doesn't advance the cyl as much).
Lastly, coast (gun talk for inertia) is what allows the cylinder to get to battery.
  I also "massage" the bolt head somewhat to allow for earlier entry into the notch than a standard bolt head. I also treat the right side of the bolt head to a cut that just allows the full width and depth of the head to be IN the notch. This protects the lock notch from the battering of fanning (also in my regular setup as well).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:15:24 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »
Neat...