Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta vs Uberti 1861  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Pietta vs Uberti 1861
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
As I understand, Pietta makes an 1861 Colt Navy.36. How close dose it match
with Uberti i.e.: frame size barrel lenght etc.
Also considering the 1960 Army .44. Same questions with Pietta & Uberti.
Are both near to historical dimensions ?
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Pietta vs Uberti 1861
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:34:57 PM »
As I understand, Pietta makes an 1861 Colt Navy.36. How close dose it match
with Uberti i.e.: frame size barrel lenght etc.

Only real difference between the Pietta and Uberti 1861 Naves is the barrel length.  Uberti uses the correct 7 1/2 inch barrel while Piettas is 8 inches.  Uberti makes a military (four screw cut for stock) and civilian (not cut w/ brass BS/TG) while Pietta ony makes the military model IIRC

Also considering the 1960 Army .44. Same questions with Pietta & Uberti.
Are both near to historical dimensions ?
The 1860s are pretty much the same regardless of MFG.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 07:16:57 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1862 Police is a .36 caliber 5.5" barrel revolver similar to the 1861. A rebated cylinder, and 1860 stock mounting screws are also on this revolver. It's a good shooter that also allows use of an 1851 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder.
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1862 Police is a .36 caliber 5.5" barrel revolver similar to the 1861. A rebated cylinder, and 1860 stock mounting screws are also on this revolver. It's a good shooter that also allows use of an 1851 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder.
I have a Uberti made 1862 Police, and want to persue an 1861  6 shot .36 as a mate to the Police model.
FINGERS: Thanks for your info.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
i believe [and someone will correct me if i am in the twilight zone] that the uberti is closer to actual Colt spec's while the pietta is just a little larger. i have the '61' in the pietta with a shorter barrel and it seems a little heavy to me but i really like the pietta barrel arbor being the correct length as opposed to my two uberti's which have the short arbor.

my revolvers seem to shoot very well after some tinkering and polishing but at the price ... i see no harm in this small fall out that gives this tinkerer some hands on with the revolvers internals ... which just gets us introduced that much faster and endears them to my heart that much more.

i find myself just holding one while contemplating some erstwhile project ... gives me piece of mind and they just feel rite while holding them.

other then the small bit of weight diff ... the pietta's are some cheaper then the uberti's in general. they are ever bit the same in quality i think and other then the mentioned size diff ... great tools to have around.

nother thing to be thinking on with the cylinder for the 38's is that the 38 cal is .357ish and the 36 cal's are .375ish so the accuracy will not be there unless you sleeve the barrel to .357 as well and never try to shoot the .375 balls outta the cap cylinder ... ever ... for ever with that sleeved barrel installed ... did i mention NEVER ...what i meant is that that would be a great way to test your wrist and fingers as well as the arbor and bystanders as well as ruination of a great revolver. just be aware of the caliber diff in these centerfire cylinders and the ammo they take. IN 36 CAL THAT IS ... the 44 cal is the same .454ish ball's/bullets that the 45 Colt and the 45 Schofield takes.
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »

Ummm no. The Pietta 62 is the same frame as the 51 navy. It has a six shot fluted cylinder but it is not rebated. The Uberti 62 has the same frame as the 49 with a five shot rebated cylinder.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
Hi Hawg, I misspoke and said rebated when I meant fluted. I agree about the 1851 heritage, but the Pietta 1862 Police has an 1851 to 1860 heritage with a short 5.5" round barrel and creeping loading lever.

I stand by my statement that the Pietta 1862 is very close to a short barrel 1861 Colt.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:02 PM »
I stand by my statement that the Pietta 1862 is very close to a short barrel 1861 Colt.
Regards,
Richard

True statement, stick to it.  But, it's closer than "very close".  Except for the shortened barrel and loading lever it's the same gun.  In terms of Pietta models, their ’62 IS a shortened ’61 without any other difference. 

Pietta has sold both brass and steel trigger guards and back straps on their 1861’s.  I have only seen their 1862 with the brass strap and guard.

My one Pietta '61 has the brass strap and guard with an unhistorical 8" barrel.  Conclusion:  Go Uberti, those are historically correct for both 61 and 62.

[From looking at photos of original M 1861's it seems that Colt first made them with brass straps and guards and then went to steel for the remainder of that short production cycle, pre-fire.  Is that correct?]

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:45:20 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle