Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Confederate Handguns.  (Read 25717 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Confederate Handguns.
« on: August 23, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »
A while back I posted a photo of Confederate revolvers that did not include all models - cause I didn't have them all.  Now I do.  Here are the handguns used by the Confederacy that have had reproductions made:

Counter Clockwise from the top:
Griswold and Gunnison sheriffs model ( Uberti)
Tucker & Sherrard (Uberti)
Spiller & Burr (Pietta
Schneider & Glassick(Pietta)
Leech and Rigdon (Uberti)
Rigdon & Ansley Augusta (Uberti)
Navy LeMat (Pietta)
Griswold & Gunnison
J.H. Dance (Pietta)

Center:
Leech & Rigdon Sheriffs model (Pietta)

The Tucker & Sherrard, LeMat, and J.H.Dance are .44 caliber.  All others are .36

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:39:23 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: Confederate Handguns.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »
Well, you're the first on my block to get 'em all.  Great looking collection Fingers.  That L & R looks really sharp.  The Tucker & Sherrard looks interesting too.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »
Hi Fingers, what a great collection!! That collection is worthy of a museum. Do you display them or do they hide in a safe?

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:38:10 PM by Fingers McGee »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
Hi Fingers, what a great collection!! That collection is worthy of a museum. Do you display them or do they hide in a safe?

Regards,
Richard

I have to open a fresh can of fffg to entice them to come out of the safe.  Then they just sit around and smell it.  For the most part, none of them have been shot
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
Great collection and great photo Fingers.   I doubt there are many who could put all those revolvers along with the other accoutrements together in a photo.   Great to see.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
What was the hardest one to add to the collection?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a T&S outside of Gunbroker...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
What was the hardest one to add to the collection?

The LeMat - Wasn't hardest to find, just hardest to let go of $$ for because the price of them has gone through the roof.  I lucked into this one for a more than reasonable price - not the $1000 plus they've been asking for them.

The Uberti and Pietta sheriffs models are probably the rarest.  But, again, lucked out on them at a low price.

One thing I've found.  You have to check the auction sites regularly or you will miss something.  I got the Tucker and Sherrard because the seller had it listed as a Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 08:54:56 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a T&S outside of Gunbroker...

This one was another one of those lucky finds.  It was a cased set that was misidentified as a 2nd model dragoon.  SN of it is T64.  according to Dr. Davis it is 1 of 400.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:03:08 PM by Fingers McGee »

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
Great collection and great photo Fingers.   I doubt there are many who could put all those revolvers along with the other accoutrements together in a photo.   Great to see.

Thank you Mike.  The sword is a McElroy staff officers sword, the belt is a reproduction of the sword belt made by the Confederate arsenal in Tyler, Texas and has a Texas buckle and a reproduction of the arsenal stamp on the belt near the hanger.  Family is from Tyler & GGGrandfather enlisted in Smith County in April '61.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 03:27:23 AM »
Fingers,

Don't you need to include the Colt 1851?  I thought Colt was able to make a shipment to the CSA just prior to the start of the war?

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 04:46:49 AM »
Hi StrawHat, it should also include the Yank handguns taken off the battlefield, 1851 and 1860? Then call the collection, "The guns of the Civil War"?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
Fingers,

Don't you need to include the Colt 1851?  I thought Colt was able to make a shipment to the CSA just prior to the start of the war?

Kevin

This was to show which reproductions of primary and secondary handguns made/used by and for the Confederacy are available.  There were other handguns made by and for he south that are not being replicated.  A couple that I'd love to see are the Kofer and Kerr.

If I included the 1851 Navy Colt's that got to the south I'd have to include the full fluted 1860 Armies that McCullough got for his regiment.  Neither are considered Confederate Handguns.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 04:27:17 AM »
Fingers,

Kevin

This was to show which reproductions of primary and secondary handguns made/used by and for the Confederacy are available.  There were other handguns made by and for he south that are not being replicated.  A couple that I'd love to see are the Kofer and Kerr.

If I included the 1851 Navy Colt's that got to the south I'd have to include the full fluted 1860 Armies that McCullough got for his regiment.  Neither are considered Confederate Handguns.

First,  I misunderstood the intent of the display.  For that, I apologize.

Second, about the 1860s, I was not aware of that fact.  I knew the Colt factory was able to ship the 1851s just prior to the shelling of Sumpter but was not aware of McCullough getting any Colts.  Were these ordered from the factory?

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
There were two shipments totalling 1,000 (700 & 300) Colt Army's that went to New Orleans in April 1861. This shipment is widely believed to have ended up in the hands of Benjamin McCulloch's Texas Rangers at the beginning of the war.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:25:53 AM by Fingers McGee »