Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Another project gun!  (Read 13040 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Another project gun!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »
Looks like a great project! Can't wait to see the outcome...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
Well, maybe I am in over my head, but it is cleaning up pretty fair. I need info on how the extractors work as they don't function now (HAWG!! Where are you?). The gun snaps together, forearm snaps into place, but the gun won't open all the way for the extractors to work. I'm thinking the mechanism is rusted up enough to not operate. I'm soaking it in Kroil now.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »
Hi mazo, it looks like you are making good progress. Have you explored finding a replacement stock?Regards,
Richard
Yes, I have found a couple of places for new semi-inlet stocks...about $120.00, they are plain, uncheckered. But this isn't ever going to be much of a collector's gun so....maybe, if I can't get a strong repair.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
I'm thinking this is the part that operates the extractors. Does the front part tip down to operate the extractors? I have no expertise in these old double barrels (or much of anything else for that matter!).

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:05:57 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
Yeah, there's a rod in there that pushes against the extractor shaft that's probably frozen. If you get it to open all the way up the extractor IIRC should just pull free. I don't think there's anything keeping it from coming completely out.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 05:13:23 AM »
Yeah, there's a rod in there that pushes against the extractor shaft that's probably frozen. If you get it to open all the way up the extractor IIRC should just pull free. I don't think there's anything keeping it from coming completely out.

I can only speak for Baker and Batavia shotguns but there is a set screw that holds the extractor rod actuator thing in place.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 05:53:30 AM »
Cudoos, you you got a great score. let us know when you touch her off? i am cheep and reload plastic shells a lot cheaper than brass and work several times over, dont have to roll crimp them, Elmers takes care of that.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »
Kevin, if you look just to the left of that actuator, there is a small screw. I haven't tried to remove that yet. Toot, I have no problem with brass shells as I have an abundance. I know you can trim the plastic shells to fit the old shorter chambers, but I have more brass shells than plastic! Several years ago, before anyone was making new ones, I bought up a bunch. Sometimes probably paying too much ($4-5.00 each (jh) Now there are a couple of companies making new ones. However, mine may have some collector value as they are Remington and Winchester shells. I even have a box of loaded brass 12 gauge shells that were issued for military guard duty.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:36:24 AM by mazo kid »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
The rod that pushes against the extractors is captured but the extractor itself shouldn't be.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
I worked on the extractor last night; got the pivot screw and tiny retaining screw out, along with the actuator itself. The extractor is still stuck fast. Soaking in Oil of Wintergreen now.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
This is the part I am trying to free up. Wish I was looking at mine right now!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »
Get a brass rod or wood dowel and go through the actuator hole and bump it out.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 04:30:15 AM »
...Get a brass rod or wood dowel and go through the actuator hole and bump it out...

Of the two choices, the brass rod won't splinter and cause you more headaches.  For this, a steel dowel will work also.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 06:25:24 AM »
...Get a brass rod or wood dowel and go through the actuator hole and bump it out...

Of the two choices, the brass rod won't splinter and cause you more headaches.  For this, a steel dowel will work also.

Kevin

I just prefer not to use steel except as a last resort.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
I'm with you on that! Last thing I need is to mushroom the head of the extractor rod!