Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: BP Gunsmithing tips & tricks  (Read 19655 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: BP Gunsmithing tips & tricks
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
also, I'm probably beatin a dead horse here. The Whitneyville, is the transitional gun from Walker to Dragoon? So the 1st Gen Dragoon is not the Whitneyville? correct? This stuff is awesome. Thanks Hawg.

You mean the 1st model dragoon?
If so, no. The 1st carries the squareback trigger guard of the Walker and second, but has the oval cylinder stop notches of the Walker. I happened to stumble upon a First a few years back, hardly fired (if ever):

[/url]

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
The Whitneyville was between the Walker and dragoon. CAS was ok. It was more to it than I was led to believe when I got into it. The shooting part was fun. The rest of it not so much,
Okay about the Whitneyville thanks. Was CAS sort of political? Or?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 05:34:06 PM »
also, I'm probably beatin a dead horse here. The Whitneyville, is the transitional gun from Walker to Dragoon? So the 1st Gen Dragoon is not the Whitneyville? correct? This stuff is awesome. Thanks Hawg.

You mean the 1st model dragoon?
If so, no. The 1st carries the squareback trigger guard of the Walker and second, but has the oval cylinder stop notches of the Walker. I happened to stumble upon a First a few years back, hardly fired (if ever):

[/url]

Awesome pics Cap. That is nice for sure. I want it *6' *6'
So, I've heard some say they really want a Whitneyville. How does it differ from the 3 generations of Dragoons?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 06:00:16 PM »
The Whitneyville utilized the grip and grip frame of the Walker but shortened the barrel by half an inch and the cylinder was shortened as well to hold 50 grains of powder, down from the Walker's 60. It also did away with the Walker's cantankerous loading lever latch and put a spring loaded catch on the end of the LL as well as a dovetailed bracket for it to latch on to. The cylinders were blued instead of "in the white" as the Walkers were and featured the oval locking notches that the Walker did. This carried on through the First Dragoon models. Only 240 (roughly) Transitional Walkers were made in comparison to the 1000 military Walkers and 100 Civilian Walkers made, making them highly desirable among collectors.
Note how the Walker style grips fade into the frame in comparison to the First Dragoon replica in my photos above, which are squared off in typical 1861 Navy and 1860 Army style
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:59:56 AM by Elkman »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 06:08:37 PM »
Good explanation Cap. No CAS wasn't political. It was running the timer, the loading table, picking up brass, counting hits and misses, etc.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
Good explanation Cap. No CAS wasn't political. It was running the timer, the loading table, picking up brass, counting hits and misses, etc.

Thanks, Hawg!
Yeah. pretty much the same complaints Shotgun Dave had about CAS. He sad the shooting was fun, the other stuff...not so much.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »
The Whitneyville utilized the grip and grip frame of the Walker but shortened the barrel by half an inch and the cylinder was shortened as well to hold 50 grains of powder, down from the Walker's 60. It also did away with the Walker's cantankerous loading lever latch and put a spring loaded catch on the end of the LL as well as a dovetailed bracket for it to latch on to. The cylinders were blued instead of "in the white" as the Walkers were and featured the oval locking notches that the Walker did. This carried on through the First Dragoon models. Only 240 (roughly) Transitional Walkers were made in comparison to the 1000 military Walkers and 100 Civilian Walkers made, making them highly desirable among collectors.
Note how the Walker style grips fade into the frame in comparison to the First Dragoon replica in my photos above, which are squared off in typical 1861 Navy and 1860 Army style
Cap. Wow. Thank you for the thorough explanation. That is the most detail I have ever gotten on this subject!! Serious! Do either of you have a Whitneyville replica? I see what you mean about the grip too. This info is so good! so thank you both. Tim

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »
Thanks Hawg. I think I understand your thoughts on CAS. Anyone here ever involved with quick draw competitions? I would like to hear about that. Is quick draw a sub-section of CAS? Or something totally different?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
Thanks Hawg. I think I understand your thoughts on CAS. Anyone here ever involved with quick draw competitions? I would like to hear about that. Is quick draw a sub-section of CAS? Or something totally different?

No it's not a part of CAS. It's totally different. The only offshoot of CAS is wild bunch matches. They use 1911's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
Thanks, Tim! No, I don't have a Transitional Walker (or do you call it a Whitneyville Dragoon...both terms are used!) I have a First and 2 Second Dragoons. I wouldn't mind having a Transitional and a Third to fill out the ranks, though. Along with my Walker, that would complete the Grand Slam of Horse Pistols!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 03:12:56 AM »
Thanks, Tim! No, I don't have a Transitional Walker (or do you call it a Whitneyville Dragoon...both terms are used!) I have a First and 2 Second Dragoons. I wouldn't mind having a Transitional and a Third to fill out the ranks, though. Along with my Walker, that would complete the Grand Slam of Horse Pistols!

What's that I hear? L@J..I hear the wheels turning... *6' *6' well I have no Whitneyville nor the first Dragoon  :'(  I can dream.....and I will

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 03:15:36 AM »

No it's not a part of CAS. It's totally different. The only offshoot of CAS is wild bunch matches. They use 1911's.

So have you ever been involved in the quickdraw stuff? Do they use a cartridge revolver for quick draw? Hey Quicksdraw!!!???

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 06:19:32 AM »

Cap. Wow. Thank you for the thorough explanation. That is the most detail I have ever gotten on this subject!! Serious! Do either of you have a Whitneyville replica? I see what you mean about the grip too. This info is so good! so thank you both. Tim

Here's a little more on the subject, Tim:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=2389.0

Also noteworthy; after the contract for the (roughly) 240 Transitional Walkers was sealed between Colt and Whitney, the entire lot was sold out before they were even produced.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2021, 06:42:18 AM »

Here's a little more on the subject, Tim:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=2389.0

Also noteworthy; after the contract for the (roughly) 240 Transitional Walkers was sealed between Colt and Whitney, the entire lot was sold out before they were even produced.

Thanks Cap K. Appreciate the link and info.  L@.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2021, 06:44:42 AM »

HEY!!!??? Quicksdraw??~!!!  (7+" (7+"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:58:21 AM by Elkman »