Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Fleet procurement, outfitting, shoot reports etc  (Read 55461 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Re: Fleet procurement and outfitting shoot reports etc
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
This 1862 Pocket Navy is my  new favorite. For now!   It is the only Colt I have with oiled grips!  , and!, the total package is right on!  Not much bigger than the Pocket '49, but in .36 (Navy) caliber.  Have yet to fire it, but I have been firing the '62 Pocket Police.  So, I pretty much know what it would do.

It s a  blackboxer.  The finish and feel, the look, all of it!  I m  going to fire it for range and punch results.  I have it rigged to go into a  shoulder socket holster, a slip socket holster waist belt arrangement.

I was hoping it had the Naval Engagement engraving insted of the stagecoach scene.  I know now that  'Navy'  simply refers to the caliber.  'Navy Caliber'  being .36.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:40:05 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Re: Fleet procurement, outfitting, shoot reports etc
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 01:34:36 AM »
Well, well,   w h e w .  I am arrived back from , ,  well, I m  back.

So ooooooo,  Cap n,  seems, you had a great role in this, I got the hanker n  for a '51 Navy.  I got one too!  For the past 2 months it was gnawin on me and 3 days ago, I just looked on Gunbroker and , , ,   b o o m !   Guess what was right there,, right in front of my schnaz just begg n  for a new home?!  Just guess.  I could nt  believe what I saw!  It soaked in and before I even knew what the fugger all I was doing,  I hit the   b u y   n o w   option.  Done and done!  Talked to the guy on the phone and he congratulated me and said he got emails like crazy from people that wanted it and could nt  believe it was available   a n d   was gone so quickly.

Clearly, it was destined for me.  Well,  I still have yet to get it.  It s  enroute in the mail.

Iv e  not ever even held a 51 Navy. Can t  wait.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:22:28 AM by Krylandalian »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:06 AM »
Excellent,  you will like the '51 better than you imagine.    Glad you are back from wherever it was life shuffled you off to.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
Yes, welcome back! I also think you will develop a fondness for the 'Plain Jane' Navy! And I know what you mean about the auction sites...when I get a burr under my saddle for a particular gun, I often wonder who that guy is that just bought the gun...wait; ME?!!!! (jh
Details, please! Maker, year, maybe even a link to the auction so's we can see what it looks like even before you post the mandatory required pictures that go along with a thread like this?
We's a-waitin'...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 01:30:58 AM »
Thanks.  Good to see you again. 

Hope this works-

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/645310902

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 01:38:18 AM »
I m  look n  forward to handling the 51 Navy.  I have a blackboxer 61 Navy and it just doesn t  feel all that good.  I swear it is heavier than the 60 army!  Feels that way anyway.  Feels heavy, squatty and bulky.  The 60 Army feels slender, well balanced, sexy and sleek. 

I m  eager to get ahold of the 51.  Got a name for it too.  Check the other thread I started- Names of ,,.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »
Oh, my!
A  London model with steel SB trigger guard and BS!!!!!
What a find! You are going to love it. I promise!

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
Oh!  I didn t  realize it was a London model.  I thought C series Colts were all of one type.  Anyhoo.  I am already happy with it!  don t  have it yet.  Also, I am eager to check the engraving on the cylinder.  I have the Colt Cylinder Scenes book, and it really describes the differences and so on about it.  Someone here in the forum turned me on to this book.  I thank them.

Now,  in order to complete my collection, I am after 2  Dragoons.  A 1st and a 2nd.  I wish Colt did a Paterson.  I d  get that too.  Seems there s  a 3rd Gen 1842 model, but it s  several thousand dollars.  Can t  do that.

Oh yeah! , and BTW,  one of my old Walkers is yours!!!  I am away from home right now, so it will have to wait.  I ll  keep you informed.  I figure it s  up to you to research what it would have sold for around 1850. That s  the price.  Ok?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:34:20 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
Oh yeah! , and BTW,  one of my old Walkers is yours!!!  I am away from home right now, so it will have to wait.  I ll  keep you informed.  I figure it s  up to you to research what it would have sold for around 1850. That s  the price.  Ok?
I will GLADLY do that research! L@J

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
Krylandian, congrats on finding a '51! The case colors look gorgeous. I can tell you it's not a London model, it's just that the silver on the silver plated brass trigger guard has tarnished. 

Captain, you are one lucky guy to get the Walker and I'm happy for you. Kry, is this one of those Armi San Marco Walker's with Colt markings on the barrel and cylinder? I like them and I have one. Whatever type of Walker it is I'm looking forward to photos when the Captain gets it.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:09 PM »
Well, we ll  see what we ll  see when it arrives.

Thanks for the congrats! 

The Goon is gonna earn his money reviving that old Walker.

Yes.  They re the ASM s  with the Colt Markings.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 04:17:52 AM »

According to author David Stroud in the "Texas Ranger Dispatch Magazine", Issue 02 pp 36;

"Colt received a contract for 1,000 revolvers on January 4, 1847, and would be
paid $25 for each arm. He would also receive an additional $3 for powder
flasks and spare parts."

Taking into account your date of "around 1850", this would have put the original 1847 Walkers at 3 years old and no longer in production in lieu of the newer Dragoon models, but given their increased powder capacity and effective range, they would very likely have retained much of their original value with those who owned and used them. Let us speculate then that fair open market price would be somewhere in the $20.00-$23.00 range?
For the complete article:

http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/Backissues/Dispatch_Issue_02.pdf

Good reading!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:19:31 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 03:35:43 AM »
Colt produced the standard models with brass back straps and trigger guards for the English trade. However, the British people did not take to the brass, describing them as "cheap" looking. So Colt produced the steal tg and bs for British imports.  Here is an example of steal bs and tg with London markings................Jim

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Sounds good Capt.  During that time, there were not too many revolvers available to the public etc.  Most were military. Colt was stroking like mad fulfilling the second and third contracts (Dragoon revolvers to the Government), aside of a few other manufacturers, the few Walkers, only a few private sales from Colt, yeah,  seems a  Walker would still be in   h i g h   demand, regardless of its condition.  During the Gold rush, a Dragoon, from deserting soldiers or whatever, could go for several hundred(s) of dollars!

Anyway, around $20.00  sounds good.

That Ranger report doc. was pretty good.  Thanks for that!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:04:46 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »
I went outland ranging on a 2 hr jaunt with Col. Fremont, Lt.Jg Flask, Col Bowie, and a few others.  Did nt  get to shoot anything.

Man, carrying that Whitneyville Dragoon in a belt holster, even with a shoulder support strap, is hell after about an hour going over redwood logs, up and down steep ravine slopes, slipping on moss and and and.

Last time firing Maj. Hume, the blue grey cloud of smoke hung around, slowly ascended in the still evening air up through the redwoods.  The report doesn t  travel.  The dense forest holds the crack.