Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .457 fragmentaion shell  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
.457 fragmentaion shell
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
Stand by the alert hand howitzer!!  Ready 01 projectile, fragmentation, point detonating.

Some time ago, for my ASM walkers, I cast 220 grain  'balls'.  I drilled out the center, inserted a  .22 short casing with the powder. 20 grains of FFFG and   KA FUGG n   B O O M  !

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: .457 fragmentaion shell
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »
Never did it with a revolver but I did it with .58 minies. I never heard a report from one exploding, just a puff of smoke and damage to whatever it hit was minimal. An unexploding minie created more havoc than an exploding one, especially on wooden structures. I can see where an exploding minie on a fuse(like the originals) would cause massive damage to human targets and would set off crates of ammunition. I remember reading a story of a soldier having all the cartridges in his cartridge box exploded by a fused minie as it exploded on it's way through the box. I don't think he was seriously wounded tho, just some minor burns.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:03:30 PM »
.22 Short on top of a round ball? How did you load it without setting off the .22? Drill the hole, load the ball, insert .22 shell?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:05:16 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
That's what I was thinking.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »
Quite late in replying.

The cases fit into the cavity to where the rammer did nt  touch it.  Just pushed it right on in.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:05 AM »
Sitting here with only two functioning fingers on my left hand I can say with certainty, "Stupid is as Stupid does" (Forrest G).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:09:22 AM by rdstrain49 »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
Well, If the violent debilitation of fingers through negligence in handling mechanical equipment or otherwise, is indicative of  'Stupidity',  Forrest Gump must have been refering directly to you.  Since you seemingly have decided what he meant. Your implication that I am stupid, does nt  reconcile, considering your reference and example (I have all of my limbs and digits intact and fully functional).  So,  should you wish to continue to insist others qualify as  'stupid',  you ll  have to redefine your qualifying criteria.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
Now, take a deep breath and step back. He didn't say you were stupid, only that the practice MIGHT be. Someone might not be as astute as you were in making those projectiles, might not seat the 22 shell deep enough, etc. One doesn't have to be stupid to cause personal injury.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »
If you wish to take this discussion to a personal level, then yes, I think a private individual making exploding projectiles is stupid in the extreme.  I'm certain that there are some who have the background and training to do this safely, but you do not say you are one.  There is no practical application for an exploding projectile other than to be able to say "HEY YA'', WATCH THIS".  However having spent 31 years defending your right to say, think, and do as you please, I don't say don't do it, I simply say in my considered opinion the practice of making exploding projectiles is in fact pointless and stupid.

If some kid reads your statements and subsequently get injured attempting to duplicate what you have done, it’s on your head.

Criteria redefine.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:25:50 AM by rdstrain49 »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »
End of discussion?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline rdstrain49