Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Looking for an original '51?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Looking for an original '51?
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »
Looks to be fairly decent, price is affordable ....at this time. L@J  Of course there are still 10 days to go before the live auction starts. Click on the main picture to get full screen size and proceed from there by clicking the arrow on the right side.
https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Colt-1851-Navy-Black-Powder-Revolver/33312284/LotDetail.asp?lid=33312284&rfpb=0#Top
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:41:46 PM by mazo kid »

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
Re: Looking for an original '51?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:11:27 PM »
Mazo, in looking at the "Colt's Patent" stamp, I've never seen one put on with the 2 words not parallel?! I thought it was a one piece stamp which sorta raises my eyebrows with the claim it's  "original".

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 01:14:40 PM »
Looking at it again, The "L" in the barrel address is the wrong size and for such an old gun, those screw heads look pretty good, not to mention the ones holding the grip frame in place seem to be blued.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »
All the markings look good to me. The L is a smaller font with a line under it as it should be. Some of the screws may have been replaced and the hammer as well. The hammer should be cross hatched and doesn't appear to be. I think its the real deal otherwise.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
Hawg, have you ever seen the "Colts Patent" mark be put on like that? Also, if you blow up the address line, you'll see the "L" is the same size, no underline. Just sayin", because I've never seen these thing's doesn't necessarily make me right but..............
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:29:34 PM by sltm1 »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
Here's one that sold at auction with good clear markings and other than having a Hartford address the font is the same.

Stacked patent markings.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »
Hawg, have you ever seen the "Colts Patent" mark be put on like that?

Yeah, I can show you a lot of pics if need be.