Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Would you buy a used BP revolver?  (Read 6116 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Would you buy a used BP revolver?
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:32:59 AM »
Hi, I wonder on what others experience is buying a used BP revolver? Other than one member on this message board, all used BP revolvers purchased used have had problems requiring a lot of work to bring them up to good condition.

What is your experience buying used BP revolvers?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Would you buy a used BP revolver?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »
Yes I have purchased several used revolvers.   Since the new ones have problems too, I don't worry about buying used revolvers.   I have to fix them whether new or used.   As a rule though I don't buy used unless I can handle the item before purchasing or I can return it to the seller.   
There are quite a few sellers on the auction sites that will allow a 3 day inspection period during which you can elect to return a revolver unfired.    You must be willing to pay to ship it back to the seller.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »
Richard, all of the nearly 20 revolvers I have were used except 5.
Some of them required a little work, many of them required a whole lot.
You are certainly savvy enough to know what needs doing, and to do it.
Seeing as how you CAN afford to buy new if you so choose, I would say if you decide to buy used, bid accordingly knowing what the new value and quality is compared to what you will probably have to put into it.
I will say this; if it weren't for my used 'projects' there is no way I would own 75% of my collection. You have to not be afraid to ask questions and expect clear, concise answers, have photos sent to your email, and to walk away if something seems fishy. You can tell a lot about the seller's knowledge, or lack thereof, by his responses.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:33:21 PM »
Richard,

I have bought a number of used revolvers.  So far, nothing has been beyond repair or really even close to that lousy of a condition and I'm not disappointed in any that I bought used.  One of the used ones I bought had never been fired, that's exception of course.  Will I expect to give them some tinkering and bring them up to grade, of course, that could be the case with a new one as well.

I won't buy a used brasser unless I could hold it and check it out first, I think they are more prone to hard use.  As a general statement, I think buying used can be a great way to go - plenty of folks buy these guns, get turned off by the tedium of BP shooting and set them out for sale. 

And of course, repairing anything as needed makes the next set of problems seem less intimidating.  Based on many of your past posts, you've all the skills to handle any problems.  Like Mike said, if buying from an auction site ask if you can return it if there are problems upon receipt.  IME in several instances the seller provided a grace period even tho his description said no returns.  Just ask..and if they won't give a few days inspection period, that's one you pass on.  Another of my rules, I won't buy when the listed shipping charge is over $15.  You can ship any of these revolvers for $13, listing shipping charges of $25 and $30 is a joke and extra "padding" in their price.  Probably seems like a silly rule, but it's just a personal thing.

Whip

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
Don t  believe anything the Captain says!  There is   n o   way  he would buy a used BP pistol!!!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:21:36 PM »
I've bought all sorts of used BP weapons. Only one have I had to do anything with.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »
I've bought a lot of used ones. Never got burned on one. Most of them I never did anything to. I still have one made in 76 I haven't done anything to. I have another made in 76 that was a gift and it needed a lot of work to make it right but it came that way from the factory.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:28:21 AM »
I have bought used ones, I don't have any problems with them.  ;)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »
I have purchased several used BP revolvers; pistols and rifles as well. Some revolvers I knew beforehand needed work done, priced accordingly too. When you buy a gun 60-75% below the cost of a new one, you can afford putting in a couple of hours work on them.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
I have purchased used black powder revolvers in the past. Ones that I would look for are from people who bought them new, and want to sell them. I ask why they are being sold and the usual answer is that they take too much time etc. and are not like the modern cartridge guns. They have lost interest in them because of the time involved caring for, and cleaning them. I guy I met even gave me a brand new, in the box Traditions 1851... 44 cal. He got it and after looking at the thing he put it away for a couple of months. Then he decided it was way above his head. He wouldn't take anything for it. I thanked him for the gift. I sold it at the next rendezvous I attended for what the thing nearly cost new. I never even fired it.  8)

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »
All bar one of my black powder firearms have been second hand and I've had no trouble with any of them. As with all firearms, it takes a while to work out their idiosyncrasies, their likes and dislikes but then they have been a pleasure to shoot. Only one, a Uberti 1858, has needed replacement parts ie springs, but that is to expected in a revolver over 40 years old.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:28:27 AM »
My Dear Richard -

Literally every BP firelock I own ( excpet fort he ones I built) I bought used. I now have "too many" 1858's , 4 1860s' , several 1849's, and at least 4 1851's . Oh and the '58 carbine.  Oh, and 2 Dragoons with broken cylinder shafts.

I got the dragoons and a "color case" pietta 1858 with checkered grips via mail from a fellow who found "BP was just too much trouble".
All three, recieved completetly disassembled, he couldn't re-asssemble them. all three for $300 shipped. A cleaning and the '58 is ready to go, the Dragoons need the new ( included) cylinder shafts installed and slots cut. After I do that and shoot them I will probably sell them.

One 1860 I got is an Uberti, and the only problem was the wedge was driven in so far the hammer couldn't cycle ( cylinder would not turn) ! So that one is gonna get the shim.
All my toys were purchased at less than half retail. Few needed much more than proper cleaning and "fluff and buff" or a hand or bolt replacement. Almost all were via mail.

All these little projects are giving great delight, and are MUCH easier than working on clocks!

That does not count the caplock rifles I got in various states of disrepair ,and all the flintlock parts I have been acquiring.

My most recent treasure finds were from the LGS.  I went in for powder and came out with 100 .45-70 brass , a .58 Mowrey halfstock
and a "wallhanger".  all for $150. The Mowrey will need a little loving but it will turn into a nice "T-Rex Rifle". These big heavy .58's are really too much for ordinary game. Maybe ok for Rhino's or Cape Buffalo :-)

"The wall-hanger" is a treasure find! It is a custom .40 half-stock caplock built by an inventor and gunsmith from Iowa around 1850.
It has double-set triggers, steel fittings, a hand-rifled barrel, coned muzzle, and a genuine Lehman percussion lock. This smith was well known in the state for putting out a few rifles every year for local rifle competitors. One fellow wrote a glowing leter to the paper that his new rifle would put out a candle at 40 rods with every shot.  I talked them down to $20 on this rifle, but I will have to replace the stock.
I'll use the original as a pattern and save it.

so, yeah. "used" is good, with discretion, at the right price.

yhs
prof mvl