Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Army Wedge  (Read 3910 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
1860 Army Wedge
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »
Hi, I have a slight issue with one of my Pietta 1860s where the wedge goes all the way in, it's not wide enough. I have three extra 1851/1860 wedges, but thy have the same dimensions as the problem wedge. An internet search shows that some have cured this problem by adding a shim on the front inside edge of the arbor slot. Some have tried peening with minimal success. Another suggestion is to put a weld bead down one side and filing to shape. One way to do the fix is to do the Goon's mod where a set screw is put in the front of the arbor. I don't like the idea of that modification in that the revolver is no longer stock.

I found an interesting internet post where the author suggests that the Uberti 1860 wedge is wider than the Pietta, see:
http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/pietti-1860-colt-wedge.462780/
(scroll down)

Has anyone else had this wedge issue?

I ordered a replacement Uberti 1860 wedge from VTI to learn if that wedge will do the job on my Pietta 1860. I'll post back what I learn.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Army Wedge
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
Hi, the new Uberti wedge just arrived. Yes indeed it is wider than the Pietta wedge where a little filing of the sides was required to have it properly fit. I'm now one happy camper!!

While a lot of the information on the internet is crap, this time it saved the day.

The filed sides will be cold blued to produce a nice appearance.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 11:59:29 PM »
that is awsome news. glad to learn a trick with my own Pietta's. glad you were successful with your revolver.
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
Hi, I have a Pietta 1862 (actually an 1861) that has a narrow wedge were there is no more taper for setting it in hard. I remembered my fixing a narrow wedge Pietta 1860 by adding the Uberti wedge (see above) and ordered another from eBay. That new Uberti 1851/1860 wedge needed a sight bit of narrowing to fit, but the Uberti wedge did the trick again for a too narrow Pietta wedged revolver.

Regards,
Richard