Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Goon's Gun  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Goon's Gun
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
Well folks, it's official...
I had all the various revolvers out tonight playing with them and comparing actions and my ASP1860 Army that Goon worked has the best action, hands down.
I wish I could say my kit-built 1860 Army did, because it used to be the reigning king...but Mike's action has it whipped.
Oh, and the loser? My 1851 Navy. Yuck. Maybe I'll have Mike play with that one soon...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Goon's Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »
Wow!! Thanks Cap. !! (I'm honored!! .  .  .  .  .  Really!! Thanks!!)

This Dragoon is the bomb!! The coil hand spring I did for it ruined .  .  .  .  . ME !!!!  In fact, because of you, I'm officially a "fan" of the coil & plunger!!  I used to preach the virtues of the flat handspring and how it acts as a "two stage " spring.  But, my set up ( which uses a long plunger with a shorter, stronger spring) acts more like a flat setup.  Of course with the large frame revolvers, a larger plunger is used and a guide fashioned on the rear of it keeps the spring centered. The Ruger spring is long and has "wiggle room" which gives it a more "noodle" feel.

Anyway, I ended up converting my Dragoons to coils and even changed out my El Patron  to my own setup and I like them all even better. The new sound the Dragoons make when spinning the cylinder is .  .  . COOL!!!

Thanks again Captain , I know my hand springs will never break and I'll be introducing a coil and plunger trigger return setup as well (just like a 3 screw Ruger)!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:03:45 AM by 45 Dragoon »