Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Aged Spiller and Burr  (Read 10669 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Aged Spiller and Burr
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 02:27:20 PM »
I use 15 grains Pyro P in my Griswold (.36) and don’t exceed 18 grains.  Am I missing out by sticking to that light of a load? 
No. Brass frame Remmies have been stretched on as little as 20gr. The to strap doesn't make them 'stronger'. The problem arises from the cylinder ratchet imprinting itself on the recoil shield and opening up the clearances, thus increasing the 'slide hammer effect'. 15gr is probably the most accurate load anyway, if a bit anemic. My steel framed '51 Navy shoots most accurately with a 15gr load of PyroP and the recoil is nil.
On the Colts, the damage occurs as the steel arbor begins to stretch the brass threads in the frame and eventually "shoots loose". There is nothing wrong with sticking to reduced loads oin a brasser, burning less power with less recoil, with better accuracy as a result.
If you want fireworks, buy a Walker to burn the powder you saved.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:30:44 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 06:22:12 AM »
Agreed, the lighter loads do better for accuracy.
I had an 1851 brasser in .44, only used Pyro and .451 ball over 15-18 gr.
It surprised me how nice a shooter it was. Reached out 50 yards plus and easy recoil.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »
Hi Hewy, the brass framed BP revolvers are more slick that the steel frame counterpart. The coefficient of friction for steel on brass is much less for brass framed revolver than steel on steel. I have three brass framed revolvers with .22 conversion cyIinders that have the slickest actions of any BP revolvers I own. Have a new brass framed .44 1851 that I will give to my son-in-law for Christmas. He already has a steel framed .36 1851 so I will enjoy seeing his pleasure shooting the brass framed revolver.

BTW, from every thing I have seen, the S&B replica shoot miles high with original sights. A shooter S&B needs replacement front sights.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:09:00 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
Richard, as we are getting consistant reports from owners the S&B does shoot high as does mine.
I don't want to go any further on mods other than the cosmetic grip refinish that I did.
I intend to sell it only to break $ loss for the new 1860 coming in.
Hewy

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
It surprised me how nice a shooter it was. Reached out 50 yards plus and easy recoil.

Hmm...wonder what happened to it? ;)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

Hmm...wonder what happened to it? ;)

It is in good, appreciative  hands.
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
Hi, I have the book, been reading it, and have been waiting for a deal on the Spiller & Burr without success. I'm tired of waiting and ordered a new Pietta Spiller & Burr from Dixie. Will post some photos when it arrives.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
Look forward to your report Richard.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
Hi whip, from all the reading on the Spiller & Burr repos is that they all shoot very high. The first thing I will do is install a tall dovetail front sight. There seems to be cult for the Spiller, some suggest it is the best practical and accurate BP revolver ever made. I don't know how they can make the claim of accuracy for a resolver that shoots ~18" high @25yds.  L@J

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
Hi, the Pietta Spiller & Burr just came in the door. A quick inspection shows the fit, finish, and timing to be perfect for this price point a replica revolver. Tomorrow I will tear down the Spiller and inspect the internals. The revolver:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
Nice! Do the grips feel, ummm...small?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 05:07:21 AM »
Hi Kirk, yes, the grips seem small compared to the revolver frame. I removed all the parts from the Pietta Speller & Burr for inspection and degreasing. The internals of the revolver are very clean, nice sharp machining with no burrs or rough areas. The hammer pull on this revolver is heavy. I will replace the hammer spring with a Wolff reduced power spring. The Wolff used in the Colts just needed to be shortened a little. The sides of the hand and bolt will be fine stoned to decrease friction. All the brass has been gone over with Brasso, now drying.

I decided not to shoot this revolver and just use if for display in my living room. To accurately shoot the S&B revolver that shoots very high, a dovetail front sight would be required. That IMO would change the character of the revolver.

Unless something about this revolver changes, this completes my evaluation of the Pietta Spiller & Burr.

Regards,
Richard